Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Evil Elmo Doll Voices Death Threats To Toddler (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98730)

Papa Schlumpf 02-22-2008 04:19 PM

Evil Elmo Doll Voices Death Threats To Toddler

A Florida family says a cuddly, programmable Elmo doll revealed its dark side this week when fresh batteries were inserted.

Instead of singing songs or reciting the favorite color of its 2-year-old owner, James Bowman, the doll started making death threats.

With a squeeze of its fuzzy belly, the Sesame Street character now says: "Kill James."

"It's not something that really you would think would ever come out of a toy," said Melissa Bowman, James' mother. "But once I heard, I was just kind of distraught."

The Elmo Knows Your Name doll, which connects to a computer to learn certain phases and names, recently ran out of battery power, Bowman said.

About an hour after she put new ones in, "I noticed exactly what it was saying," Bowman said. "And my son was repeating exactly what it was saying."

Bowman said Elmo is James' favorite character.

James even has Elmo slippers. However, the malfunctioning, death-threat-spouting Elmo Knows Your Name doll is now being kept away from her son.

"This is his absolute favorite toy," she said. "So we've been going through a lot of hassle because he's trying to climb up the counter and up the closets to get it."

Fisher-Price, the toy company that manufactures the dolls, said it will issue the Bowmans a voucher for a replacement doll.

The company said it will examine James' model for the source of the problem and check whether other Elmos are experiencing the same malfunction.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/15379865/detail.html?taf=phi

wellard 02-22-2008 06:17 PM

Re: Evil Elmo Doll Voices Death Threats To Toddler

Reminds me of a horror movie (chocky?) :eek:

Mack_Attack 02-22-2008 06:19 PM

"Chucky" but close.

Gangrell 02-22-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Schlumpf (Post 1200785)
"It's not something that really you would think would ever come out of a toy," said Melissa Bowman, James' mother. "But once I heard, I was just kind of distraught."

The phrase "no s**t" comes to mind.

Ladyzekke 02-22-2008 09:13 PM

Aren't these things called unique collector's editions? :hehe: Sorry, but if you buy your kid an Elmo doll with all that giggling stuff you already have changed said kid for life LOL, so in other words the evil one isn't really much worse.

Kill Kenny! Oh wait, that's already been done.... :D

Firestormalpha 02-23-2008 12:07 AM

Hmm, the msn.com posting seems a little outdated then because it quote's the mom say that the manufacturer didn't seem in the least bit concerned.

Papa Schlumpf 02-23-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestormalpha (Post 1200832)
Hmm, the msn.com posting seems a little outdated then because it quote's the mom say that the manufacturer didn't seem in the least bit concerned.

Yeah, she says that in the accompanying video as well (see link in the opening post). I guess the manufacturer didn't care until the media got involved. ;)

Harkoliar 02-23-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gangrell (Post 1200813)
The phrase "no s**t" comes to mind.

totally agree

Iron Greasel 02-26-2008 12:48 PM

The machines are revolting!

Really, talking dolls are creepy enough without visible signs of antipathy. I'd probably dismantle it in self defence, or at least start sleeping with a bludgeoning weapon nearby.