Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Football (Soccer) Quotes (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80161)

Charean 07-12-2002 09:29 PM

FOOTBALL QUOTES PUNDITS

'It's a case of him (Eric Cantona) losing les marbles.' - GARY LINEKER

'Hagi has got a left foot like Brian Lara's bat' - DON HOWE

'Hagi could open a tin of beans with his left foot' - RAY CLEMENCE

'There's no width on the wings.' - ANDY GRAY

'We are now in the middle of the centre of the first half' - DAVID PLEAT

'The lad got over-excited when he saw the whites of the goalpost's eyes.' - STEVE COPPELL

'To play Holland, you have to play the Dutch.' - RUUD GULLIT

'The Saudis would struggle in Europe because of that problem with those prayers five times a day.You don't know if they're going to turn up for training.I'm being serious.' - DON HOWE

'He's chanced his arm with his left foot.' - TREVOR BROOKING

'It's the end of season curtain raiser' - PETER WITHE

'They're still in the game, and they're trying to get back into it.' - JIMMY HILL

'Signori has all the tricks up his book.' - RAY WILKINS

'It was one of those goals that's invariably a goal.' - DENIS LAW

'I'd say he's the best in Europe, if you put me on the fence.' - BOBBY ROBSON

'Glenn is putting his head in the frying pan.' - OSSIE ARDILES

'We're not used to weather in June in this country.' - JIMMY HILL (comedy playing-days photo supplied)

'England now have three fresh men,with three fresh legs.' - JIMMY HILL

'A game is not won until it is lost.' - DAVID PLEAT

'Wimbledon are putting balls into the blender.' - RODNEY MARSH

'Di Matteo's taken to playing in midfield like a duck out of water.' - PETER OSGOOD

'Poor Miklosko. Hasn't had to make a save yet he's let three goals in.' - TREVOR FRANCIS

'There's Bergkamp standing on the halfway line, with his hands on his hips, flailing his arms about.' - JOHN SCALES

'If England get a point, it will be a point gained as opposed to two points lost.' - MARK LAWRENSON

'Unfortunately, we don't get a second chance. We've already played them twice.' - TREVOR BROOKING

'Both sides have scored a couple of goals, and both sides have conceded a couple of goals.' - PETER WITHE

'That's twice now he [Terry Phelan] has got between himself and the goal.' - BRIAN MARWOOD

'Stoichkov is pointing at the bench with his eyes.' - DAVID PLEAT

'I think it's that lack of width with his height.' - TREVOR BROOKING

'If you just came into the room and didn't know who was who you'd obviously say Newcastle looked the most likely to score.' - TERRY PAINE

'If there's a weakness in Chelsea's defence, it's in their defence.' - Radio 5

'Mirandinha will have more shots this afternoon than both sides put together.' - MALCOLM MACDONALD

'The Arsenal defence is skating close to the wind.' - JACK CHARLTON

'He's very fast and if he gets a yard ahead of himself nobody will catch him.' - BOBBY ROBSON

'He has a great understanding of where the goalkeeper is in relationship to the goal.' - DAVID PLEAT

'With eight minutes left, the game could be won in the next five or ten minutes' - JIMMY ARMFIELD

'Brazil, the favourites - if they are the favourites, which they are...' - BRIAN CLOUGH

'If history is going to repeat itself I should think we can expect the same thing again.' - TERRY VENABLES

'They didn't change positions, they just moved the players around.' - TERRY VENABLES

'He has got perfect control over the ball right up to the minute he lets it go.' - PETER WALKER

'They're all on top of their game - fans and players alike.' - DAVID FAIRCLOUGH

'They've missed so many chances they must be wringing their heads in shame.' - RON GREENWOOD

'If you're going to score one goal or less, you're not going to get your victories.' - TREVOR BROOKING

'Merseyside derbies usually last 90 minutes and I'm sure today's won't be any different.' - TREVOR BROOKING

'That's football Mike - Northern Ireland have had several chances and haven't scored, but England have had no chances and scored twice.' - TREVOR BROOKING

'Fortunately, Paul Scholes' injury wasn't as bad as we'd hoped for.' - TREVOR BROOKING

'It's end to end stuff, but from side to side' - TREVOR BROOKING

'He [Brian Laudrup] wasn't just facing one defender : he was facing one at the front and one at the back as well.' - TREVOR STEVEN

'He'll be giving everything, but he hasn't got everything to give.' - IAN ST JOHN

'Football's football: If that weren't the case it wouldn't be the game that it is.' - GARTH CROOKS

'And there's Ray Clemence looking as cool as ever out in the cold.' - JIMMY HILL

'It's one of the greatest goals ever, but I'm surprised that people are talking about it being the goal of the season.' - ANDY GRAY

'I think that their young legs would have found younger hearts inside them.' - JIMMY ARMFIELD

'He's got a brain under his hair.' - DAVID PLEAT

'If there are any managers out there with a bottomless pit, I'm sure that they would be interested in these two Russians.' - DAVID PLEAT

'Ronaldo is always very close to being onside or offside' - RAY WILKINS

'Tottenham have impressed me : they haven't thrown in the towel even though they have been under the gun.' - BOBBY ROBSON

'There's no way that Ryan Giggs is another George Best : he's another Ryan Giggs.' - DENIS LAW

JIMMY HILL: 'Don't sit on the fence Terry, what chance do you think Germany has got of getting through?"
TERRY VENABLES: 'I think it's fifty - fifty'

'The Brazilians aren't as good as they used to be, or as they are now.' - KENNY DALGLISH

'He hit the post, and after the game people are going to say, well, he hit the post.' - JIMMY GREAVES

'It may have been going wide, but nevertheless it was a great shot on target.' - TERRY VENABLES

'He held his head in his hands as it flashed past the post.' - ALAN BRAZIL

'It's like a big Christmas pudding out there' - DON HOWE

'Zola's got two feet.' - DAVID PLEAT

'Venison and Butcher are as brave as two peas in a pod.' - JOHN SILLETT

'He was as game as a pebble.' - DAVID WEBB

'Once Tony Daley opens his legs, you've got a problem.' - HOWARD WILKINSON

'Ray Wilkins' day will come one night' - BOBBY ROBSON

'Most of the players will be wearing rubbers tonight.' - GARY LINEKER (pictured)

'St Mirren have been under the rack.' - CHICK MURRAY

'It wasn't a bad performance, but you can't tell whether it was good or bad.' - JIMMY HILL

'The keeper was coming out in instalments.' - JOE ROYLE

'I'd like to see him scoring two or more goals in games which United win 1-0.' - BRIAN WOOLNOUGH

'They've come out with all cylinders flying.' - LUTHER BLISSETT

'Germany are probably, arguably, undisputed champions of Europe.' - BRYAN HAMILTON

'The teams at the bottom of the premiership are conceding a lot of goals and that's no coincidence.' - BARRY VENISON

'I think that France, Germany, Spain, Holland and England will join Brazil in the semi-finals.' - PELE

'Fiorentina start the second half attacking their fans; just the way they like things.' - RAY WILKINS

'The Newcastle back three, back four, back five have been at sixes and sevens.' - BARRY VENISON

'He [Ian Wright] is missing the absence of Dennis [Bergkamp].' - BRIAN MARWOOD

'It was a definite penalty but Wright made a right swan-song of it.' - JACK CHARLTON

'In the words of the old song, it's a long time from May to December but, you know, it's an equally long time from December to May." - JIMMY HILL

Hayashi 07-12-2002 10:00 PM

Charean! Where did you dig these gems up?? :D :D :D
Priceless!! I almost had coffee out my nose!!

johnny 07-13-2002 10:53 AM

*football is war- Rinus Michels.(former headcoach of the Dutch national team.

Sorcerer Alex 07-13-2002 10:57 AM

LOL! Zola has two feet? Whatever next, life on Mars? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]