Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Thanksgiving menu help please (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72091)

*\Conan/* 11-14-2001 12:12 PM

I am cooking this year and I really want to try something different. Can you all give me a couple of ideas to liven up the menu? Twice baked potatos and dry turkey have been a norm for to long! I am going to buy my bird soon.. what else should I attain at the store?? Thanks!

Hiram Sedai 11-14-2001 12:15 PM

No suprise here, but perhaps a bag of cheetos would truly compliment your meal for the holiday. You can use it as stuffing, the main course or dessert. Be sure to keep it away from the extremely old and infirm as the taste may be a bit overpowering for them. They prefer to have theirs pre moistened.

*\Conan/* 11-14-2001 12:25 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:
No suprise here, but perhaps a bag of cheetos would truly compliment your meal for the holiday. You can use it as stuffing, the main course or dessert. Be sure to keep it away from the extremely old and infirm as the taste may be a bit overpowering for them. They prefer to have theirs pre moistened.<hr></blockquote>
Heh! Sounds easy enough [img]smile.gif[/img] Mybe something a little less toxic thow Hiram. Come on now ..help me spank that bird into the oven with delectable delights.

Sir Mitsos 11-14-2001 12:30 PM

When exactly is thanksgaving and what exactly do you celebrate? I never understood this holiday(mainly because we don't celebrate it here).

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Sir Mitsos ]</p>

*\Conan/* 11-14-2001 12:38 PM

Thanksgiving

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: *\Conan/* ]</p>

Legolas 11-14-2001 01:04 PM

Cook your turkey in water to avoid dryness

Stuffings (pre-cooking, of course):
Ketchup (It's new, it's original, it's bound to tase terrible [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Chocolate/cheese combo (for extra meltyness)
Peanut butter (nothing beats roasted peanuts)
Turkey wings (a nice surprise)Dog food (any kind will do, ask for details in the local pet store)

CAUTION: I am not a turkey expert. If you follow my advice and anything goes wrong, don't blame me. If it turns out it tastes good, I get the credit [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lady Avalon 11-14-2001 01:27 PM

I have this wonderful baked pineapple recipe. I can give you the recipe if you're interested. Very easy to make and makes a nice addition to any meal. It has chunk pineapple, flour, sugar and cheddar cheese in it.

*\Conan/* 11-14-2001 01:42 PM

Legolas, I am surprised at you ! Your Ranger skills in cooking need a little honing [img]smile.gif[/img] Lady Avalon send it to me! Sounds great...mmmm

Lady Avalon 11-14-2001 01:49 PM

Baked Pineapple Recipe

2 - 16oz cans of Chunk Pineapple (drained)
4 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese (sharp cheddar is best)
1 cup sugar
12 tablespoons flour

Mix ingredients and place in baking dish. You can crush some Ritz crackers and use them as a topping (optional). Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

Legolas 11-14-2001 01:49 PM

I think it was the lion part in me [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sir Byronas 11-14-2001 02:12 PM

Interesting celebration! But only American! Have a nice Thanksgiving guys.

*\Conan/* 11-14-2001 06:21 PM

Thanks Sir Byronas ,Lady Avalon ,Legolas, Hiram Sedai, Sir Mitsos, and all that will help me out here. T- day is only a week from tomorrow. Get going here [img]smile.gif[/img] I will print out this post to follow your exact procedures so post on IW !
  1. 1 large bag of Cheetos
  2. pre-made stuffing
  3. Ketchup
  4. Chocolate
  5. Cheese
  6. Peanut butter
  7. Turkey wings
  8. Dog food
  9. Chunk Pineapple
  10. Sugar
  11. Flour
  12. Ritz crackers
I will add to my list as appropriate [img]smile.gif[/img] Say, Mouse.... I need a good choice of Vino... hmmm mybe a light white delight..not to much tannin [img]smile.gif[/img] Got any suggestions for me? I can fit alot more into my cart here.

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: *\Conan/* ]</p>

DragonMage 11-14-2001 10:08 PM

It's a bit late for me at the moment, but tomorrow, I'll post up my own devastatingly delicious Caramel Apple Cheesecake recipe.

Plus, try using Yukon Gold potatoes for smashed taters or I could also give you the recipe for some scalloped potatoes. Really easy to make and very good.

And I saw a recipe in a magazine at work for those who like cranberry sauce but want to add some zing to it: Combine it with cream cheese to make a dip! :D

I'll post recipes if you'd like.

*\Conan/* 11-15-2001 07:28 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DragonMage:
It's a bit late for me at the moment, but tomorrow, I'll post up my own devastatingly delicious Caramel Apple Cheesecake recipe.

Plus, try using Yukon Gold potatoes for smashed taters or I could also give you the recipe for some scalloped potatoes. Really easy to make and very good.

And I saw a recipe in a magazine at work for those who like cranberry sauce but want to add some zing to it: Combine it with cream cheese to make a dip! :D

I'll post recipes if you'd like.
<hr></blockquote> Im going to the store tonight what do I need to add to my list? Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

DragonMage 11-15-2001 07:44 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by *\Conan/*:
Im going to the store tonight what do I need to add to my list? Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

For the cheesecake, you need 3 8oz packages of cream cheese, a couple of nice tart/sweet apples (any kind you like, but I find Granny Smith to be the best), some caramel apple topping, a graham cracker crust, 8oz. container of sour cream and a package of halved pecans. Plus eggs and you already have sugar on your list. Oh, and I think some vanilla extract (if you don't have any at home). I'll post the official recipe tonight.

For the potatoes, I'll post that recipe in a few hours - it's in the Receptionist's desk downstairs....but you'll need probably four good baking potatoes and some cream (or evaporated milk). I'll see what else in a bit and let you know.

I'll also check on the cranberry sauce dip recipe - it's in the same magazine. But It'll be a couple more 8oz packages of cream cheese and some cranberry sauce (any variety you like - jelled, with berries, whatever you like).

[img]smile.gif[/img]

AngelofDeath 11-15-2001 08:07 AM

Thanks Sir Byronas ,Lady Avalon ,Legolas, Hiram Sedai, Sir Mitsos, and all that will help me out here. T- day is only a week from tomorrow. Get going here [img]smile.gif[/img] I will print out this post to follow your exact procedures so post on IW !
  1. 1 large bag of Cheetos
  2. pre-made stuffing
  3. Ketchup
  4. Chocolate
  5. Cheese
  6. Peanut butter
  7. Turkey wings
  8. Dog food
  9. Chunk Pineapple
  10. Sugar
  11. Flour
  12. Ritz crackers
I will add to my list as appropriate [img]smile.gif[/img] Say, Mouse.... I need a good choice of Vino... hmmm mybe a light white delight..not to much tannin [img]smile.gif[/img] Got any suggestions for me? I can fit alot more into my cart here.

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: *\Conan/* ]
<hr></blockquote>

This looks like the Peanuts Thanksgiving feast. Except you forgot:

1.Popcorn Balls :D
2.Toast :D

But seriously, how goes the planning? I will be doing these dishes

1. Turnips(mashed like potatoe) mmm mmm
2. Sweet potatoes(in a pie plate with marshmallows on top)
3. Green beans w/those little onion ring thingies
4. Turkey/stuffing
5. Mashed Taters
6. Vegetables: corn/ peas&pearl onions

For desert:
an assortment of pies(store bought, shhhhhh don't tell the family) coconut custard, apple choclate cream(homemade).

That's about it....any questions??

Legolas 11-15-2001 10:25 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AngelofDeath:

That's about it....any questions??
<hr></blockquote>

Why DID the chicken cross the street?

AngelofDeath 11-15-2001 10:36 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Legolas:

Why DID the chicken cross the street?
<hr></blockquote>

ummm yeah.....well the chicken crossed the road, because it knew it was dinnertime at my house and it wass on the menu.....

BTW, can I borrow your Bow?

Legolas 11-15-2001 10:54 AM

Ah. Always wondered about that one [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Borrow my bow? Sure.

*hands over bow*

The manual said something about pointing it at humans and animals, I think...

*\Conan/* 11-15-2001 11:00 AM

Sounds good AngelofDeath. Should I spring for the range fed bird or regular type? How do I cook turnips? This is going to be a intresting holiday menu [img]smile.gif[/img] ( wheat,rye,white,french...what kind of toast? Heh )

AngelofDeath 11-15-2001 11:24 AM

Sounds good AngelofDeath. Should I spring for the range fed bird or regular type? How do I cook turnips? This is going to be a intresting holiday menu [img]smile.gif[/img] ( wheat,rye,white,french...what kind of toast? Heh )<hr></blockquote>

Turnips, are good......
Basically they are like mashed potatos. Peel off the wax coating, and skin, cut them up into pieces easy to boil (example, the size of a quartered potato), boil till a knife can easily be stuck in and pulld out. Mash them, preferably with a hand masher. Lumps add a nice texture to the mix. Serve with a little salt and butter....

Turkey, I've only had one "real" (I butchered, plucked, etc.) usually I just get a frozen one, It's not the turkey it's the chef ;)

*takes Bow* Thank you kind sir, THWANG.......dead chicken, ready to be butchered, and eaten....with turnips.

AngelofDeath 11-15-2001 11:35 AM

I almost forgot.....You MUST have <font color="yellow">Egg Nog</font> That is a MUST HAVE.

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: AngelofDeath ]</p>

AngelofDeath 11-16-2001 07:44 AM

So, Conan, have you decided on the menu......? let us know, I'm curious

Epona 11-16-2001 08:14 AM

Poor turkeys :(

*\Conan/* 11-16-2001 08:36 AM

AngelofDeath, I will edit this space for you this week end to show you the final menu [img]smile.gif[/img] (Sorry Epona) I am a omnivore.

Garnet FalconDance 11-18-2001 06:22 AM

Consider this a little bump.

Turnips are indeed Yummuy! My granny always added a little sugar to the boiling water (simply a *must*). Rutabagas are similar and would add a lovely light golden color....

I'm afraid ketchup is *not* on the menu, however.

Why does everyone insist on corrupting sweet taters with marshmallows!?!?! A little brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg. That's all you need!

In a pinch, you can use frozen green beans--dice onion and raw bacon into tiny bits and throw in to cook with the beans. Cooks into a *lovely* tasting pot!

What about rolls?

glazed carrots, simple but elegant

celery/carrots/radishes/bread-and-butter pickles, etc. type plate

fresh cranberry sauce--really easy and yummy

cranberry (can add some apple) pie. *ultimate*

*\Conan/* 11-18-2001 09:14 PM

I will make you all hungry before you get to the end of this post.... [img]smile.gif[/img] Its my turn to tease you into a taste bud rush you only experience once a year. You should have seen me shopping for turnips..the aggression, quickness, and agility to avoid those other shoppers. They are inexpensive also, I only paid a dollar for them. Is that about right?
Your recipes are noted and I thank you all! Mybe I could log in on Thanksgiving and end up burning something!! Happy day everyone!
Well, here you go. I told you I would finish this Menu</p> Cook this [img]smile.gif[/img]

AngelofDeath 11-21-2001 08:10 AM

I will make you all hungry before you get to the end of this post.... [img]smile.gif[/img] Its my turn to tease you into a taste bud rush you only experience once a year. You should have seen me shopping for turnips..the aggression, quickness, and agility to avoid those other shoppers. They are inexpensive also, I only paid a dollar for them. Is that about right?
Your recipes are noted and I thank you all! Mybe I could log in on Thanksgiving and end up burning something!! Happy day everyone!
Well, here you go. I told you I would finish this Menu Cook this [img]smile.gif[/img]
<hr></blockquote>

Conan, Nice spread.....Good luck with the meal, let us know how it turns out.

Have a great Thanksgiving..

*\Conan/* 11-21-2001 08:32 AM

Thanks! I hope that you have a good one also AngelofDeath. This gos for all of you who celebrate this holiday! I have been streching my stomach out the last couple of days so I can eat more [img]smile.gif[/img]