Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   game performance? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47393)

ashaman 10-15-2000 02:27 PM

Is anyone else having problems with this game running slow as dirt? I'm running a P2 400, 128ram ultra viper w/ 32 megs and a 7200rpm maxtor and the game siezes, freezes burps, coughs, jerks and stutters whenever there's more than 1 or so spells going on at once. I have 3D turned off because the game's unplayable with it on. The worst I've come across was the room in the mind flayers lair where you get the circlets. I had to keep pausing and unpausing to get the players to move otherwise the game just sat there. I have the swap or whatever set to 256megs and am running at 800x600 anyone else having any problems? Any suggestions? Thanks
ashaman

DeathTouch 10-15-2000 02:41 PM

I have almost the minimum requirements and I run the game really slow. How many frames per second do u have? I keep mine at 20 just so it runs. I took off weather, voices, music, footsteps, and any other thing that I really dont need. Also check to see if all of your video cards and sound cards are certified by direct X.

ArchMage1 10-15-2000 11:14 PM

So far I have had the most problems when I'm fighting dragons. The game will momentarily freeze during combat. I have to hit pause so that I'm not caught unaware when the game starts again. I'll have to try removing some of the speical effects to see if it will run smoother.

UnForGiven 10-15-2000 11:23 PM

I have a p3 450 with 64 megs of ram and a riva tnt 2 32mb 3d card and it runs pretty slow(mind u i hav all the special effects on and running in 800x600). Im hoping that an xtra 64 megs of ram will make a diffrence. If even this game runs fairly slow on my pc, id hate to c how slow NeverWinterNights will run...

lordkymil 10-16-2000 03:05 PM

believe it or not i'm running it using the recommended install on a Pentium 2 233 Thinkpad notebook and it's slow but not as slow as described here. it only slows down when there's lots of shit happening on the screen, then when its all over its still slow. i just reboot and then its fine again till the next big battle. i've gotten used to rebooting about 10 times a day. a small price to pay! i also turned off footsteps and translucent shadows.
by the way how do you change the frame rate?

Larry 10-16-2000 11:35 PM

I have a Pentium III, 450 like UnForGiven is running, but I have 128 Megs of RAM, and I do not remember the video card's description, but a friend of mine told me it was the best on the market (a year ago), and I am just fine with the game....it is running as it should be...

DemonSpawn 10-17-2000 04:17 AM

I have tested the game on 2 PC's

400MHz PII with 128MB ram and a G100 graphic card (FULL INSTALL set at 450 MHz) - no problems what so ever

515Mhz PII with 64MB ram and a Voodoo3 2000 graphic card (Full INSTALL set at 450 MHz) - the game lacks when scrolling and load times are 4-5 times slower.

Conclusion - More ram will fix most problems

I have never had any problems with slowdowns, the game has crashed a few times however

hatchjon 10-17-2000 10:17 AM

I've got a Celeron 300, 64mb Ram, voodoo2 3000 pci. I'm running the game at 800x600 with the 3d on and have no problems at all. It runs smooth almost all of the time (when several spells are cast it slows a bit but then picks up again). I did have problems before I updated my voodoo drivers. It may pay of to get the newest drivers for your card.