Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   It could happen to you (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74758)

Lady Blue03 05-03-2002 01:41 AM

<font color="pink">Actually, it may already have happened to you, but let me explain:

Prom is coming up on the 11th, so naturally, our school prepared something called 'Reality Week' to inform them about DUI (driving under the influence). Yesterday they reinacted a car crash, bringing the helicopters in and everything, it was really boring mostly.

But today, we had guest speakers. One was a female police officer, who had lost her niece in a car accident. The driver of the car smashed into a tree, the girl was ejected, the car landed on top of her. The officer was crying almost the whole time. She and her niece had a strong bond, and went into detail about how it affected her, her sister, the girls little brother. Everyone in the family was hysterical. This got me thinking.

My brother is 5 years older then me and is on active duty in the air force. I hate to admit, he drives fast(in his Mustang), and parties when he has the time, which is almost never. It scares me to think of my reaction if anything were to happen to him. Id fall into such a depression...well id rather not think about it. That officer got a lot of kids crying today, including me. So i just want to warn all the juniors and seniors out there who are going to prom. Please be careful! You guys are all my friends and it would hurt to see anything happen to you!</font color="pink">

Ryanamur 05-03-2002 10:02 AM

My philosophy on life is that it's too short to worry about potential "what ifs". Cherish your time with him. Let him know about what you think but recongnize that he's big enough to take his own decisions.

dizzy 05-03-2002 10:22 AM

Thanks LadyBlue

Jorath Calar 05-03-2002 10:29 AM

I lost a friend that way, 7 years ago, a drunk driver smashed into his car he died and another guy was seriously injured.
It's very scary, but they were on their way to a party and had asked me to come too but I was sick so I didn't go... I felt both reliefed and guilty for it for a long time.

Epona 05-03-2002 10:34 AM

I'm with Ryanamur on this one - life's too short to worry about crap that may never happen. Anything could happen tomorrow. Enjoy life, have fun, have a laugh, get enjoyment from everything you do or try. If I were killed in a car smash tomorrow, I would just want all my friends to know that I luv 'em, and that I had a good time of it before I went.

[ 05-03-2002, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]

Melusine 05-03-2002 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Epona:
I'm with Ryanamur on this one - life's too short to worry about crap that may never happen. Anything could happen tomorrow.
Uh, well yeah, but I think LadyBlue made a very valid point there. She was just warning about driving under influence, I don't think that's something to be brushed off the table so easily.
Personally I think there are few things as utterly despicable and stupid as drunk driving, and I can't find a single grain of respect for people who do it. I'm speaking from experience here - I've had girls on secondary school die on two separate occasions from car accidents where drunk driving was involved. I've also been inside a car with someone close to me who was driving drunk (and no, I could not have prevented it - I was almost still a child and he was an authority figure). It was terrifying and haven't forgiven that person as of yet.

[ 05-03-2002, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]

Ryanamur 05-03-2002 12:47 PM

Melusine, I was only addressing her issue with her brother. I didn't talk at all about DUI (which I believe is a plague and that they should have much harsher punishments for).

Epona, I've notice that we've approached most issues with pretty much the same line of late. It's good to know that there's someone else who thinks like me out there. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Melusine 05-03-2002 12:49 PM

Ryan, I see what you meant...
I just didn't want the original topic to go unnoticed... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Elif Godson 05-03-2002 12:56 PM

I tell my brother all the time not to do it, but finally they took his license away and locked his vehicle in his front driveway. Now everyday he is reminded of his stupidty, lucky for him he was never in any accidents either with someone else or by himself. He finally realised he has a drinking problem and is going to a group weekly for his addiction.
May God blees us all on these occasions and see us all safely home.

Lord Shield 05-03-2002 12:57 PM

I point blank refuse to drive if I've been drinking. UIt's just not worth the risk

woman at work, her daughter's boyfriend got killed by drunk driving over the limit without his seatbelt on