Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hard drive problem... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91844)

Luvian 10-06-2004 05:03 PM

I think my second hard drive just broke.

It's visible in my control panel, but in explorer, if I press the little + next to it, it don't show the directories in it. If I click on the main directory and try to open another folder, it say it's either broken or unreadable.

The drive is about 4 months old at max. It was working nice yesterday...

If I click on it in control panel and try to run scandisk on it, when I click "start" it just close the window and do nothing.

What do you think?

Edit: Now when I click on the hard drive itself I don't even see my list of folders, it just say it's either broken or unreadable...

Edit: In properties, it say it has 0 of 0 space left... :(

Please tell me it's just an odd configuration problem or a virus...

[ 10-06-2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]

Larry_OHF 10-06-2004 05:14 PM

<font color=skyblue>I cannot help, but I am hoping the best for you!

</font>

Bozos of Bones 10-06-2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Luvian:
*SNIP*

Man, I wish I could, but I think your spindle went out of alignment. That's sometimes a repairable problem. Sometimes. Did you have any important data on the HD in question?

Luvian 10-06-2004 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Luvian:
*SNIP*

Man, I wish I could, but I think your spindle went out of alignment. That's sometimes a repairable problem. Sometimes. Did you have any important data on the HD in question? </font>[/QUOTE]It was my storage and backup hardrive...

Bozos of Bones 10-06-2004 05:41 PM

I really doubt you'll keep anything, as the re-aligning process involves purging FAT, effectively formatting the hard drive. I don't even know if it's what I think it is. I just can't think of an easy, simple, optimistic answer for you, Luvian.

Luvian 10-06-2004 06:11 PM

What can I do now?

Bozos of Bones 10-06-2004 06:14 PM

Take it into a shop and ask them what exactly is wrong with it, and can they help. Unless you've got a very precise set of tools(costing a real lot of cash) you can't really do anything at home.
EDIT: Fresh Diagnose might help get the problem identified.

[ 10-06-2004, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]

Luvian 10-06-2004 06:32 PM

I downloaded it, went into Devices, and when I select the Drive, about all it show is "accesible: no"

Edit: Another program I use that's like the one you just recomended see the parition on my disk as "LDM"

[ 10-06-2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]

Luvian 10-06-2004 11:25 PM

I asked around, and went to my hard drive manufacturer's website to get support software, and apparently, it might just be the header or something that's missing, and I might be able to recover with a recovery program.

I'll try that, if I can find a free one.

Harkoliar 10-07-2004 05:25 AM

well if its 4 months old it should have a warranty still.