Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Do you all not english people use an dictionary? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88682)

Megabot 12-06-2003 09:52 AM

Yeah do you? I dont even have one so maybe that is why my spelling is bad lol :D

[ 12-06-2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]

Firestormalpha 12-06-2003 10:53 AM

Your spelling is fine so far, but the grammar could use a little work. But that's just me nitpicking. Sad thing is that many people who take English as a second language learn it better than we do. Scary, no?

Mouse 12-06-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Megabot:
Yeah do you? i dont even have one so maybe that is way my spelling is bad lol :D
Not a bad effort there. Capitalise the "i" and replace "way" with "why" and it would be perfect ;)

Dundee Slaytern 12-06-2003 12:24 PM

Standard British English is my first language, and I do use dictionaries. Both the book and online ones, whichever is more convenient. Whenever my "Spellcheck Senses" tingle, I refer to a dictionary to verify the spelling.

Ghoul 12-06-2003 01:38 PM

I learned english for about 10 years in school and I love to watch films or play games in english (you can say that I am an "angliophile"). But I don't use a dictionary (mostly because I'm too lazy to get up from my chair, cross the room and pick it up ;) ). If I can't think of the words I need, I try to circumvent them and describe the things I want to say 'the alternative way' (like now [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ).

Stratos 12-06-2003 01:40 PM

Yes, occasionally, but I tend to have more problem with grammar than spelling. There's that little voice in the back of my head that tells me what I'm about to type is wrong. It does not, however, tell me the correct spelling and grammar, the cheap bastard. :D

Xen 12-06-2003 02:29 PM

No. I speak English fluently(is that a word anyway) and my spelling is also very good. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]

Bozos of Bones 12-06-2003 02:40 PM

I use a dictionary only if I really need to. I speak excellent english, write with almost no grammar errors or misspellings. I'm such an "anglophil" that sometimes I even find myself thinking on english. How weird is that?

Megabot 12-06-2003 06:00 PM

Okay Mouse now it should be wery good i think, i'll learn and that is good, i did not know that we had to have an big "I" after an question mark but now i do lol [img]tongue.gif[/img]

pcgiant 12-06-2003 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Megabot:
Okay Mouse now it should be wery good i think, i'll learn and that is good, i did not know that we had to have an big "I" after an question mark but now i do lol [img]tongue.gif[/img]
:D Whenever you have the letter i by itself, it should always be an I. I'm not sure why.

Also, in your first sentence, there should've been an apostrophe in dont (ie don't) but that's just me being a perfectionist.