Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do I need the patch? Is the patch safe? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32818)

Lord Buckthor 08-09-2004 01:12 PM

I have seen that there is a patch for the game and before I started the game I wanted to see if I need it and what it does. I also read that it not aproved by activision and is not tested.
Tank you.
Buckthor

Bungleau 08-09-2004 01:40 PM

Welcome to the boards, Buckthor! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] May the only surprises you discover in the Gael Serran be the ones that are supposed to be there [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for your question... The patch is safe. I've been running with it for almost two years now. There are others who prefer not to use it, and that they like some of the bugs that it fixes.

There's a post on the Best Tips thread that covers what the patch giveth, taketh away, and doeth nothing for. That should give you the best indication of whether you want to patch or not. I started patching because I kept crashing when leaving one dungeon; hasn't been a problem since.

*edit* click here for that post. */edit*

If you're just getting started, let me also suggest that you read the Tech Tips thread. There are a number of things that can be frustrating when you get started, especially if you're playing on Windows XP or 2000, and we've identified those problems and their resolutions. It may save you a lot of frustration... :D

Oh, and about Activision's position on the game... they released it some five years ago, and officially, it doesn't work on anything higher than Win98 or maybe Me. They're also not going to put a lot of effort into addressing problems on a five-year-old game. We know differently here, and rumour has it that occasionally, Activision support quotes Ironworks when responding to problems :D

IOW, ask here. We'll help find a way for you to run it.

[ 08-09-2004, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]

Lord Buckthor 08-09-2004 03:14 PM

Bungleau thanks for the help. I am very new to the game and BBoards. I do have windows XP and am trying to find info on that. I might just let the patch go till I have a problem only it will fix. Thanks again.

Bungleau 08-09-2004 03:29 PM

You're most welcome, Lord Buckthor! The game is a lot of fun, and the Ironworks forums are a very friendly place to come ask questions about the game, or other games, or even life in general. I have been to other forums where games like "flame the newbie" were very popular, but that doesn't happen here.

So good luck on playing and getting everything set up. If you get stuck, my first hint is to look at the wall on your left [img]smile.gif[/img] That will make more sense later on... :D If that's not the answer, though, feel free to post more questions back here. And do let us know how your game is progressing, too... we're always curious.

Wyvern 08-09-2004 06:10 PM

Welcome to the board, Lord Buckthor!!!

Leaving the patch until you have a problem that only it will solve I consider a very good plan. I've never patched my game and never had any difficulties (except for the vampire ring which I never wanted ;) ).
It's a great game and there is lots of help to be found on this board. If you get stuck or need a nudge, please just ask! And do tell us how your game is going - we always like to hear!

Wyv

bsftcs 08-09-2004 07:41 PM

Welcome to the board, Lord Buckthor. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] I go with Wyvern: Implementing the patch will rob you of a great many opportunities to exploit the numerous benign bugs of the game. Nearly all bugs are to your advantage, and the two that are not (the vampire ring bug and the spirit shield) really take no pleasure away from the game in comparison with what the exploitability of the other bugs gives you. However to some the game will crash permanently one one or two occasions if the patch is not implemented. In that case you should of course do so...

And on a side note there are at least two occasions in which the game will probably crash a few times for you with the patch as well... One of them is early in the game - in the Snake Temple. So remember Bungleau's tag line. :D

And do keep us posted on your progress. [img]smile.gif[/img]