Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The Sum of All Fears review only slight spoilers. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75460)

MagiK 05-31-2002 03:56 PM

<font color="pink">Ok, I took a long lunch and whent to see this movie. My impressions were as follows

Over all : 4 of 5 stars
Technical accuracy: 2.5 stars of 5
Faithfulness to the book: 3.5 stars of 5
Special Effects: 4 of 5

All in all a good movie, because Im a pretty harsh critic and I really love Tom Clancys books. I also enjoyed seeing my back yard nuked in the movies [img]smile.gif[/img]

Under cover brother will make you laugh more but TSoF is going to end up a better movie experience I think.</font>

<H2>Spoiler stuff in my follow on post.</H2>

[ 05-31-2002, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

MILAMBER 05-31-2002 03:57 PM

Rock on. Thanks brother, I'll check it out tonight on your advice.

MagiK 05-31-2002 04:00 PM

<font color="pink">Ok about Affleck, I think he did a pretty good job of doing a young Jack Ryan [img]smile.gif[/img] I thought he pretty much hit all the character traits.

I think the Naval element was really given short shrift (probably due to budgets) They had a US carrier sitting out in the middle of the ocean, in an elevated alert status with No CAP, no picket ships and apparently no AWACS.....that folks is just never going to happen.

Baltimore getting nuked instead of Denver was kind of cool, since I recognized the landscape. Well thats all Ill put for now...if you want more ask [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>

MILAMBER 05-31-2002 04:05 PM

So he's a believable Ryan? Harrison Ford did a great job, but I think the best Jack Ryan thus far was Alec Baldwin in Red October. I guess I just have gotten too used to thinking of Affleck as some kind of ragingly gay teenage heart throb. I hope he pulls it off well.

Hatchet-Killa 05-31-2002 09:27 PM

That movie was cool

MagiK 05-31-2002 09:48 PM

<font color="pink">Aside from the ridiculous technical gaffs in military hardware and procedures, the one thing that I really didnt like was that in order not to offend Arabs, hollywood turned the bad guys into European Neo-Nazi's. While I am no Neo-Nazi supporter I do think that having it be europeans being the terrorists was kind of...well wrong!</font>

caleb 05-31-2002 09:52 PM

Why? were they arabs in the books?

MagiK 05-31-2002 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by caleb:
Why? were they arabs in the books?
<font color="#3399ff">Yes.....errr dang..yes I think they were...drats I've read too many of his books and they are all starting to merge on me..heheh, not to mention they had a "Clancy Marathon" on the USA network last night so Ive kind of Overdosed on Clancy movies! 3 in two days...ack!</font>

[ 05-31-2002, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]