Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   amulet/cloak of protection (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59155)

Jordi 11-20-2001 03:36 PM

I can't seem to use either (am or cloak) when I already have enchanted armor on for any character. My PC has Gift og the night +5 leather armor and i can not add teh amulet of protection.

i can't add the cloak to aerie in her traveler's robe. Why?

it is annoying.

Mack_Attack 11-20-2001 03:38 PM

I think because you have magic armour on the game will not allow you to add a cloak or Amm. I think you can have rings though I am not to sure though.

Morgeruat 11-20-2001 03:43 PM

nope no rings either, as per AD&D rules the bonuses don't stack, however in PnP you get to use the larger bonus (ie full plate +1 and a ring of prot +3, would = -2 AC it ignores the lesser bonus of the full plate)

Mitro Jellywadder 11-20-2001 03:43 PM

If you have magical armor on, you cannot add either a ring of protection, cloak, or amulet. If you have one of the above on, you cannot equip more than one.

robe + ring of prot. okay.
robe + ring + cloak No.
etc..

Tokain 11-20-2001 06:48 PM

I find it's better to wear normal armor so I can still use the magic rings, amulets, etc. for their saving throw bonuses. Except for my thief, nothing beats shadow dragon armor and the ring of gaxx. [img]smile.gif[/img] In PnP deosn't magic armor supposed to improve saving throws too?

Morgan_Corbesant 11-20-2001 08:27 PM

in PNP, if you wear a suit of magical armor, and a ring,cloak, or amulet of protection, you only get the saving throw bonus from the ring, cloak or amulet, (i think)......then again, i could be wrong. ill have to dig out my damn books and look it up.

JackOfClubs 11-20-2001 09:47 PM

Cloak of the sewers (+1 AC) can be worn with magic armor. Ring of Gaxx (+2) and Ring of Earth Control (+1) can too. Several helmets reduce AC and I think one or two swords. Regular Full Plate is better AC than most magic Plate Mails, so this is a good option as well (as someone mentioned above).

LennonCook 11-21-2001 12:55 AM

The rule in bg2 is quite simple- Alot of things which improve ur armoour class (eg. ring of protevtion +2) cannot be worn with magical armour. The red dragon scale is not consdiered magical, so u can where anything with it. Also, u cant equip anything mAC improving with Anythign else AC improving.
There are ofcourse some exceptions to this rule.

Whailor 11-21-2001 03:32 AM

In any case, the thing you are facing is the old and pesky and archaic rules of AD&D or whatever. Someone who cooked up these rules thought that he's "cool" when he adds such stupid rules. Have to say that the 2nd edition ones are better then 1st, but still are bad. I just hope that the 3rd edition ones (beats me what they have, I definately aint going to waste money on the plain ole rule book) are better and get rid of many such nonsense.

Now, if you are some Rogue class, then it's tricky. Some items you can put on which will lower your AC even when magic armor is on. Ring of Earth (or what the name was) is one of such lovely rings which does work even when you have magic armor on. Cloak of the Sewers is another such good thingie. As a thief class (if you are such) there isn't really much anything you can wear on the head. You can get though some decent leather armor, once you do a quest related to the village in the need of help. It's tad harder to aquire the "parts" for the armor, as it isn't exactly a shopping run, but it's doable [img]smile.gif[/img]