Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fighter or Barbarian opinions (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24673)

Silver-Wolf 10-18-2002 02:27 PM

So what do you guys think is better The fighter or Barbarian? I was going to start a new party but can't decide. I know the Barbarian gets more HP and more skills to get without penalties but fighters get more feats. So what do you guys think?

Magness 10-18-2002 02:46 PM

Both make great tanks. A half-orc barb starting with 20 STR and 18 CON can end up as a monster with awesome HP and a STR in the mid 20's if you put all new stat points into STR. I had a half-orc barb as my #1 tank in my last party that was a holy terror! Fighters will obviously make excellent tanks as well. It largely comes down to a roleplaying decision. Do you want to create a tank that's sort of a barely controlled wildman (or woman) or do you want to create a highly trained and skilled fighter?

Nightowl2 10-18-2002 05:21 PM

I prefer fighters myself, mainly because they get so many feats. Barbarians just have never appealed to me, for some reason.

<center>Nightowl2</center>

Larry_OHF 10-18-2002 05:47 PM

<font color=skyblue>I have a barbarian Dwarf and a human fighter...and I like the Barbarian Dwarf more. He just seems more the part to rush into the middle of an enemy horde and start slinging his axe and hammer...without thought to his own safety. A fighter would be smarter than that, but I like the barbarian's actions mroe. Just my playing style.</font>

Jack of Speed 10-19-2002 02:05 AM

I have a Barbarian and a Fighter. And I wish I had put the two together into one character. Barbarin/Fighter would be my choice. 4 Levels of Fighter and the rest barbarin. It should open up the fighter feats. but Allow you to get all the Barbarian bonuses. But Half-Orc and max strength is a MUST! In my HoF game a have a Level 26 Barbarian with 26 Strength and a belt that increases his strength by 6.... Ahhhhh 32 strength is a beutiful thing, I think its a plus 12 damage bonus.

Nightowl2 10-19-2002 12:29 PM

Hmmm, that does sound like an interesting combination. And yeah, that is a nice little belt of strength, though the constant blur is a bit hard on the eyes.

toriuxik 10-23-2002 12:08 PM

Hmm... I find barbarians are superior for pure tanking, but less useful for ranged combat. They can use thrown weapons well enough, but thrown weapons have no range. Thus, use a barbarian with dash to tank, and the fighter to pick off the other enemies. ;) Half the time, my HO barbarian went in alone and killed everything. At levels 1-5, use Houndstooth collar, than go for 2handed weapons to REALLY deal damage. Barbarians are better at running in and killing, but a fighter is better for 'smart' fighting, like ranged combat and using lots of feats rather than Barbarian rage. ;)

Nightowl2 10-23-2002 12:31 PM

So what about when the rage ends? That lasts only five rounds, not a very long time, and not in keeping with strict 3rd ed rules (rage length there is 3 + Con modifier, and that's the increased con from going into rage). Does the barb become weakened, or just a little fatigued?

Jellyfish 10-24-2002 12:56 AM

A pure class is fine, but I always develop a multi-class warrior.
Barbarian/fighter is good. You may pick only one level as a barbarian to add the feat,extra rage.
One level as a ranger is also a good choice. Usually, a barbarian won't wear heavy armors, so rangers' two weapon fighting feat works perfect with the main levels as a barbarian.