Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Protests in New York (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91438)

Yorick 08-29-2004 01:42 AM

Well, I'll be in Union Square tomorrow, sharing it with around 250,000 people. My church meets in Union Square, in the film academy and variety arts theatre around the corner. (Am I allowed to mention that under the morotorium?????) So I'll be there all day, as I run the music/worship for both the morning and evening.

It's gonna be chaotic. I hope it's not violent. Peace protesters getting violent is such hypocrisy.

Will be interesting to see if they head up to Central Park. They should be allowed to go to central park. I don't agree with the judges ruling on that.

All in all, the question is, why are the republicans meeting in this overwhelmingly democratic city? Just asking for trouble.

Ilander 08-29-2004 02:05 AM

Jeez...I bet that's gonna be a mess, even more than normally, transportation-wise...

aleph_null1 08-29-2004 03:03 AM

I wouldn't call NYC any more overwhelmingly Democratic than any major city on the Atlantic seaboard... or any major U.S. city, for that matter.

The protests will be huge just because the city is huge, IMO.

Lauren 08-29-2004 03:06 AM

Wow, hopefully all hell won't break loose from this.
Fortunately I live in a quiet non-interesting coastal/country town in Australia, so I'm happy, no big protesting thingies...lol.
Although I would like to be a protester for things that are worth protesting for like freedom and peace and things like that.
Unfortunately I'm too afraid that I might get beaten by the police (no offence to anyone who is a police officer).

Seraph 08-29-2004 04:58 AM

Quote:

All in all, the question is, why are the republicans meeting in this overwhelmingly democratic city? Just asking for trouble.
You mean the "overwhelmingly democratic" city that has had a republican mayor for how long now?

[ 08-29-2004, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: Seraph ]

Jorath Calar 08-29-2004 07:14 AM

3 years... and he used to a democrat

Bah, Politics... why isn't this in Current Events...?

Yorick 08-29-2004 07:58 AM

New York is unquestionably democratic. It's what the pundits say, it's what New Yorkers say, it's what voters express at the polls, mayor notwithstanding. We had crappy choices for gov amongs the democrats.

Anyhow, watch the protests. They started friday, continued yesterday. Today will be chaos.

Yorick 08-29-2004 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Bah, Politics... why isn't this in Current Events...?
Because I'm talking about my life today and how it will be affected by something. It belongs in gencon.

Jorath Calar 08-29-2004 08:21 AM

Okey sorry...
Good luck and don't get arrested... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lauren 08-29-2004 11:36 PM

I saw the protests on the news this morning, there were a lot of people there... I think the reporter said that 20 blocks were filled with protestors.