Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Installing Windows 7 (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102315)

Ladyzekke 02-15-2013 07:55 PM

Installing Windows 7

OK, I bought this and need to install it. BUT, I've never installed any kind of Windows before (always bought a PC that had Windows already installed). So I have all the discs, including Office and Outlook.

My question is:

Is it easy to install? When I put the disc in will it give me instructions as I go along? Can an idiot like me be able to figure out said instructions LOL? If not, is there a website you know of that I can go to and get instructions? Or (probably not gonna happen), anyone want to schedule calling me and walking me through it? Just asking! :)

ElfBane 02-16-2013 03:55 AM

Re: Installing Windows 7

Are you downgrading from Win8, or upgrading from WinXP or Vista?

Ladyzekke 02-16-2013 07:19 AM

Well, someone put on Windows 7 Ultimate, but it will be gone soon. And when it's gone, I won't have Windows at all anymore, so will be having to start from scratch.

ElfBane 02-18-2013 03:44 AM

Pop in the disk and let it do its thing.

Beaumanoir 02-25-2013 12:13 PM

Gone? Why gone?

Easiest way, as long as you don't mind the data-loss, is just to do a cheeky re-format - it always makes for a cleaner install and gives you that fresh desktop smell. But IIRC Win7 is pretty good with this kind of thing and I think its installer does most of the hard work. Like Elfbane said, it's a pretty simple process. Pop it in and go.

Ziroc 02-27-2013 10:43 PM

Installing Win 7 is even easier than XP! No raid drivers to deal with. :) Put the disc in, and choose 32bit or 64bit (if your PC has more than 4 gigs ram, go with 64bit)..

its just better.. SOME games don't like it, but you can usually get around that with tweaking it.

As ElfBane said, put it in, and follow the prompts.. If there is nothing on the HD you want, let Win7 format it for you too...

johnny 02-28-2013 08:09 AM

Yep, it basically installs itself. Insert disc...sit back and relax for roughly 20 minutes, and you're good to go. :)

Firestormalpha 03-11-2013 06:33 PM

Somewhat along the lines of this discussion:

Everything is going Windows 8 now. Those who've used both, which do you prefer?

I've only used Windows 7, and that was on someone elses computer. But, from what I've seen of Windows 8, I prefer 7 myself. Windows 8 looks great for touch pad application, but I'm not inclined to use my computer in that manner.

Ziroc 03-11-2013 11:51 PM

Yeah, most think Windows 8 is a dumbed down OS.. I will never upgrade to it. (will hope the next release is better) :)

All my friends (and all tech friends) agree, Windows 8 is a poor release. Windows 7 is much better. I don't want a dumbed down OS.. You can still have the desktop look, but its a pain to 'keep' it like 7...

Its like every other Windows release is crap:

Win 8 - crap
Win 7 - good
Vista - CRAP
XP - awesome
Windows ME - forgotten
Win98 - awesome
Win95 - was actually good, but weak...