Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Paladin (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24956)

9_1_6 11-28-2002 11:15 AM

Are paladins useful in IW2... i mean, i created one and he looks pretty good and fights good but because i am not familiar with IW2, I'd like to know if there are good items for them and if they are a useful character...
so...?

Paladin2000 11-28-2002 11:26 AM

Except for their lay on hands (or something) which gets more powerful at higher level, I find the Paladin class a bit too irritating, especially the part where they would refuse to accept payments for quests and etc.

Desdicado 11-28-2002 11:43 AM

I always have a Paladin as my "main" character. From a role play point of view I think they are a lot of fun.
The limitations in IWD2 compared to a fighter are, 1 - you can only take two points in any weapon. 2 - You get less feats.

The advantages are, some clerical spells, immune to fear and disease, lay on hands.

So for a pure tank you are better with a pure fighter, but I like Paladins.

SpiritWarrior 11-28-2002 12:07 PM

Yup I agree Paladins are very useful good Fighters and partial Clerics when you need them!

Luvian 11-28-2002 01:57 PM

And yes, paladin will get a cool item.

Gimli 11-28-2002 06:36 PM

Paladins get some nice perks, their Cha bonus to all of their saving throws is great; also if you check their special abilities button, they get to "smite evil", which does extra damage, also based on their Cha. At 2nd level they also radiate a protection from fear spell which helps allies within 10'. If you want to feel more like a fighter with a paladin, make him a paladin of helm for the order, and take 4 levels of fighter - then you can specialize in weapons (large sword just might be a nice choice...).

Zoltan 11-29-2002 04:06 PM

Paladins are GREATT! Specially Paladin/Fighter multi-class combo. +4 to all saves (if your cha is 18) cleric spells lots of paladin abilities and..

the HOLY AVENGER!!!!

Yggdrasil 11-29-2002 04:22 PM

I have a multi paladin/cleric (illmater); he does VERY well as the leader. Plus there is a holy sword (only usable by paladins) in the game. Their 'cure disease' ability is nice, and so is laying hands and the extra spells. Not accepting rewards is no big thing for me, but of course there are differing opinions. Also, paladins have great saving throws.

If you have a paladin as your leader, s/he will need some intelligence to be able to dialogue properly. An important note: you can't really buff any one ability without sacrificing another, and paladins use virtually every ability score in the game. A very good class; while lacking the punch of a pure cleric or fighter class, they make the best of both. A very good class, IMO.

SomeGuy 11-29-2002 04:43 PM

I like paladins.They are cool and get to use the holy avenger.

Axl of Darkness 12-19-2002 08:28 AM

I like Paladins. Since my second time playing IWD 1 and BG 2 I have always made a paladin as a second character.

On IWD 2 I made the main character a PALADIN and I suggest you that after you fullfill a quest and BEFORE reporting use another character to talk to the CHIEF and than you will be able to request the paye in GOLD ...not in words....

He has a nice CHA and is pretty easy to him to get nice replies.....buy diplomacy skills and it will work better.

IN IWD 1 --- I had the great PALE JUSTICE - their version for the Holy Avenger... It paid to have this great sword !!

Best wishes and happy holidays
ED