Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ribald Barterman, a time traveller? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24783)

Balhifet 11-01-2002 10:21 PM

I thought IWD2 happened before Drizzt was born? That must mean that IWD2 happened before BG took place leading to the thought that BG2 is after IWD2.

Now here comes the complication, Weimer's Merchant mod adds Ribald Barterman, a merchant in a famous mart in BG2, in Conlan's house. He sells weapons that existed in BG2 like The Equalizer, Jaheira's Pin and much more. The history of the items always include adventures of the Bhaalspawn. The Bhaalspawn, existed after IWD2. When you ask the merchant how he got there, he would say that after the Bhaalspawn left no people in Amn is interested in war no more so he traveled North to Kuldahar.

Now, how did that happen?! Someone please provide me an explanation. Anything would be helpful and appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AM I LONG-WINDED OR WHAT?!

Jack of Speed 11-01-2002 10:38 PM

Wasnt Ribald a sorcerer or a wizard as well as a fighter class of some kind? He's probably 1/8th dragon. Im sure it happens a lot where he's from and it probably accounts for his long life. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Balhifet 11-01-2002 10:52 PM

He's an elf. Even though he has a long life, he cant sell those things because those items are going to be assembled and forged together in the future by the Bhaalspawn (the main character in BG2:SoA) or be invented by an NPC,given to the NPC as a reward or named after some of the NPCs.

I am a very troubled player.

SpiritWarrior 11-02-2002 04:11 AM

A Chronomancer i'm thinkin ;) hehe
But more than that, who the hell would give up that tropical Amnish climate for the icey winds of the Spine of the World? To think he upped and left the Adventurers Mart and travelled all this way just to be there for our chars. Cheers Ribby! (can we say that - Ribby?)

Zoltan 11-02-2002 06:38 AM

yes its very strange. it's more strange that it's an official patch

Zoltan 11-02-2002 07:08 AM

Am I right?? or it's a custom mode??? (ribald selling baldurs gate2 items)

Obsidian the Black 11-02-2002 07:16 AM

Ohh, and Balhifet, IWD 2 takes place before Drizzt comes to the surface, not before he was born. It is set before Wulfgar is born if thats what you were thinking of.

Nightowl2 11-02-2002 12:44 PM

I thought Ribald was a custom mod myself, since he's selling BG gear, and the readme says the stuff was carefully translated to 3rd ed. I just wish I'd installed that much earlier than I did, as he has some really nifty stuff for early in the game. Of course, the prices are rather nifty, too. The only thing lacking in his merchandise is a really good axe. My dwarf was quite disappointed about it.

<center>Nightowl2</center>

Zoltan 11-02-2002 03:58 PM

His gear is over rated overpowered. Using these equipment will ruin the defaultitems ofiwd inmyopinion.iuninstalledit

Nightowl2 11-02-2002 04:08 PM

If something is overpowered, it can't be overrated at the same time ;)

As it is, I like the items myself. Good stuff early isn't to everyone's taste, though, which is why it's optional.

<center>Nightowl2</center>