Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Drow Bard, Multi-class.. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25074)

9_1_6 01-19-2003 06:05 AM

I have a Drow Bard who is on Level 3 and I want to Multi-class him. I'm thinking of multi-classing him to a Sorcerer...
But, drows favoured class is the Wizard! Therefore, if I do multi him into a sorcerer will he suffer XP penalties?

*IF YOU GUYS THINKS I SHOULD MULTI HIM INTO ANOTHER CLASS, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK*

Micah Foehammer 01-19-2003 07:53 AM

Yes, multiclassing a drow bard to a sorceror will result in xp penalties unless you keep the levels in each case within one level of each other.

J'aran 01-19-2003 07:56 AM

Yes, he'll suffer a 20% XP penalty.

Sorcerer/Bard is a good combo, because Charisma is the casting ability for both classes. If you plan to keep the levels even (not more than 1 apart) the penalty will not apply. So in this case it will disappear as soon as your character becomes a Bard 3/Sorcerer 2. However, if you plan on making one of both classes have the upper hand, so to speak (for instance giving him only 4 levels of Sorcerer and putting the rest into Bard), then the penalty will continue to exist. You could make him a Wizard/Bard instead, with bigger or smaller success depending on his Intelligence, but that's your call. IMHO, that 20% penalty isn't that big a problem.

Sagramore 01-19-2003 02:14 PM

Hm...being just newbie at this place, you may not take all of my opinions seriously...but i think that if you just multiclassed with the favored class, you could be more powerful. And your bard could cast that ever helpful magic missle...and since most of the enemies in the game just don't give you XP when you kill them that 20% could be a bitch later in the game, do ya feel me?

Magness 01-19-2003 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sagramore:
Hm...being just newbie at this place, you may not take all of my opinions seriously...but i think that if you just multiclassed with the favored class, you could be more powerful. And your bard could cast that ever helpful magic missle...and since most of the enemies in the game just don't give you XP when you kill them that 20% could be a bitch later in the game, do ya feel me?
Youre reasoning is good, Sag. However, you're missing one point... Since the original character is a Bard, there's a decent likelihood that he doesn't have a good/useful INT for Wizard. That's really the limiting factor.

Sagramore 01-19-2003 06:20 PM

You're right Magness, i forgot about the intelligence...damn third editon rules...

9_1_6 01-20-2003 08:25 AM

[img]smile.gif[/img] .
I have 16 CHA and 16 INT.

J'aran 01-20-2003 08:51 AM

In that case I'd go with Wizard, because I prefer their broader range of spells over a Sorcerer's greater number of castings. But that's just my opinion, choose the one that best suits your intentions with that character. If you want endless Magic Missiles, Fireballs and other damage-dealing spells, go with a Sorcerer; for more flexibility but less raw firepower make him a Wizard.

9_1_6 01-20-2003 09:01 AM

I want to go Sorcerer [img]smile.gif[/img] and I also want to cast one level 9 spell.
So what level of Bard and what level of Sorcerer should I be?

Magness 01-20-2003 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 9_1_6:
I want to go Sorcerer [img]smile.gif[/img] and I also want to cast one level 9 spell.
So what level of Bard and what level of Sorcerer should I be?

With INT 16 and CHA 16, the max spell level that you can cast is level 6 spells.

Furthermore, as a wizard you need to attain level 17 to get your first 9th level spells. For sorceror, you need to attain level 18 to get your first 9th level spells.

Since you already have 3 levels of bard, the max level that you'll likely attain is around 15-17. Also factor in the fact that your Bard is a Drow (-2 ECL), And the fact that you want to MC to sorceror and the 20% XP penalty. And I'd say that you can forget about 9th level spells. Maybe even 8th level spells. Even if you MC to wizard, I think that it's questionable that you'll be able to get good enough to cast 9th level spells.