Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Battle O'The Mages (Round 1: Nalia VS Aerie) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55847)

ForgeX 07-24-2001 03:38 AM

Hi pplz!
I recently loaded up one of my old saved games (Ranger/Cleric)and i had decided during that game to have an all good alligned party. Here is the party so far:
* Me- Ranger/Cleric
* Valygar (never had in my for long before)
* Jaheira
* Keldorn (Holy Avenger user =))
* Yoshimo/ Imoen
* Aerie/Nalia

Now here is my problem. I have never used either Nalia or Aerie exclusively before and i have no idea as who to take.
I am in the need of a mage to assist me in battle, and since Nalia and Aerie both fit the bill (mage and good-alligned). Edwin is evil-alligned so i do not wish to take him, as i will not be able to attain 20 rep legally.

So my questions to my fellow BGers is who is the better mage and more useful character. Take note however that i already have a cleric.
Thanks for any help!

------------------
One moment of weakness....
An eternity of pain....

Kinslayer 07-24-2001 04:27 AM

I'd say Aerie is the better choice. her combination of cleric and mage abilities means she can memorise a lot of spells in one go. Nalia's main plus point is that she's a thief but if you have Yoshimo or Imoen all she can offer is magical back up. alternatively, you could try Jan but I'd still say Aerie's the best choice for your party at this time.

Hayashi 07-24-2001 04:31 AM

Nalia has 17 Int, compared to Aerie's 16. This means that Nalia should be able to learn more spells.
But I'd go with Aerie, her cleric ability is a big plus, and there are potions that can temporarily boost the Int stat that she can use to learn all the spells she needs.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
http://www.dabros.net/images/tcampbell/hadb6copy.jpg

ForgeX 07-24-2001 05:19 AM

Thanks!
Just a small question.
If you attain 20 rep with Jan in your party, does he leave?

ForgeX 07-24-2001 05:19 AM

Thanks!
Just a small question.
If you attain 20 rep with Jan in your party, does he leave?

SSJ4Sephiroth 07-24-2001 05:30 AM

no he does not, for Jan is a Chaotic Neutral gnome person.

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?

Lord of Alcohol 07-24-2001 06:43 AM

Nalias a far better mage, she levels up faster since she is not multi-classed.

deathknight 07-24-2001 07:40 AM

If aerie is going to be your only mage the big issue I would have is that she is multi classed. Nalia will be casting the high level spells much sooner and as your only mage that will be a big deal. If you get rid of aerie though you might have some healing problems however so that could also be an issue for you. If you got it covered between your char and your ranger cleric then definatly go without the multiclassed mage. level 6 and 7 spells will come alot sooner!

Guyan Sethe 07-24-2001 08:27 AM

How about this very "goodie & noble" party:

You - Ranger/Cleric

Keldorn - For the dirty work.
Mazzy - For the less dirty work.
Anomen - He becomes one of the good.
Nalia - Want´s to help the less fortunate.
Yoshi - Swoop him for Imoen later on.

Damn, the more i look at this party the more i want to try it myself.

------------------
Might makes right.

AngelofDeath 07-24-2001 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hayashi:
Nalia has 17 Int, compared to Aerie's 16. This means that Nalia should be able to learn more spells.
But I'd go with Aerie, her cleric ability is a big plus, and there are potions that can temporarily boost the Int stat that she can use to learn all the spells she needs.

That what they make potions of genius for, have a drink and memorize ANY spell, and as many spells as are allowed, Gets rid of the limitaions of number that can be memorized.

Definitley Aerie.....Nalia sucks