Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   fighter or druids battling mages (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4722)

Iqbal_khi 12-12-2001 06:03 AM

I just wanted to know how fighters or druids (or clerics for that matter) deal with mages whose chain contingency consists of spell trap, prot fr magical weapons and ?????). without ruby ray and breach, the fighter or druid cannot deal damage to the mage... at least for 4 rounds, enuff time to get killed, especially if soloing

How do you guys do it??

Irongrinder 12-12-2001 08:07 AM

A lot of people who solo, play with a fighter/mage person. So they still get those spells to use against them.

Dundee Slaytern 12-12-2001 09:03 AM

Computer controlled Mages are limited in their AI, and you, as a Human Being, can easily outwit that AI.

Retreat until the potent spell protections run out. Use an elemental weapon to bypass the Stoneskins. It can be done, I have completed the game( SoA + ToB) with a solo Cavalier. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and once you get the Cloak of Mirroring... ... http://www.plauder-smilies.de/rotfl.gif

Whailor 12-12-2001 10:00 AM

.. or if you know where they are, then just "run around" till the spells wear off. Basically they see you, shoot the spells up and you jump behind the corner. Hum a tune or two, check the clock and when time is right, hop out and smack them across the head.

All this is even easier - sort of - with the paladin types, because they do get a weapon which can smack thru many spells and dispell and such - Carsomyr is really sweet. For a fighter type (and kits and other similar classes) it's harder, since the best weapons you really get are +4 ones as such, and not all of then even anywhere near the game start or in the middle.

Now if someone will just solo, say, berserker through the whole BG2: SoA and ToB, now that person I certainly respect quite a bit. It's not easy, paladin types are easier to get thru due to the gear they get, which is one of the most powerful melee gear in the game, not to mention that the spells they get, no matter how weak comparing to cleric, are still more then a fighter will get. Fighters aint getting anything like that, no spells either and so on. That's a challenge to play thru the game :D

Dundee Slaytern 12-12-2001 10:12 AM

Actually, I rarely found myself using Carsomyr. I prefer a One-Handed Weapon and Shield setup, it served me far, far better. I still kept Carsomyr around though. ;)

Lukivah 12-12-2001 10:20 AM

Killing mages with a fighter is easier than all that, go with GM in Katanas, some slots in two weapon style and some slots in flail, celestial fury + flail of ages. If you really want to micromanage put celestial in primary flail in secondary, wait till celestial fury stuns the mage, switch to flail in primary, celestial in secondary so the elemental damage goes through stoneskin, then when stun wears off go back to CF in primary FoA in secondary. those two weapons are the mage killers (and yes I do believe CF is unbalanced it stuns everything regardless of resistances, cept maybe dragons but it probably stuns them too)

Suzaku 12-12-2001 10:34 AM

What's Celestial Fury? Some katana?
(if it's good, where do you get it? beaten game, don't worry about spoilers)

Aragorn1 12-12-2001 11:17 AM

It is in the large building, north east temple district, kill everyone inside+ upstairs and someone upstairs has it, some quite touhg bttling, but meduim level should defeat them

Eldoran 12-12-2001 05:31 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Iqbal_khi:
I just wanted to know how fighters or druids (or clerics for that matter) deal with mages whose chain contingency consists of spell trap, prot fr magical weapons and ?????). without ruby ray and breach, the fighter or druid cannot deal damage to the mage... at least for 4 rounds, enuff time to get killed, especially if soloing

How do you guys do it??
<hr></blockquote>

One technique that works well as a druid is to memorize a bunch of summon animal spells... Just fill up on animal summoning 1's, and repeatedly cast them around the mage. They will go through their spells pretty fast on the critters, and once you get them to get rid of their 7th and up spells, you can dance around and engage them to trigger their 2cd wave of protections... Stall them again and finish them off.

As a fighter/druid I liked to close in with the lich once they loose their mantles and such and smack them around with the gnasher. It does additional poison damage in subsiquent rounds, so it serves well to interrupt mages....

Of course if you can land one of the insect spells, particularly creeping doom or insect plauge yer golden. ;)

Long Live Fighter/Druids! ... And have fun.

Keida de'Bane 12-12-2001 06:45 PM

Kensai-Druid?........ sounds interesting..