Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Win XP help (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92458)

Intrepid 12-09-2004 09:10 AM

All right, this is a really simple problem, and it's really finicky, and unimportant, but it slightly annoys me.

What happens is when I usually start my computer it comes up with my username, and I can enter my password, easy. Since I’m the only user of this computer, my username is highlighted, and all I have to do is enter my password, but recently, when my computer boots my name isn't highlighted, and I have to click it, or press tab a few times.

Ok I’m being picky, but I really like starting my computer, and logging in easily, and walking away, if anyone knows a way to fix this I’d be happy, but it's no to important.

I'm using Win XP SP2

Callum 12-09-2004 09:25 AM

Never did that for me... Always came up with my name highlighted... I don't bother using a password at the moment (because my keyboard sometimes plays up, and so not all the keys work, so I can't get in...) and it logs me straight in...

Bungleau 12-09-2004 09:46 AM

No quick answers for you. Is yours the only profile on the machine? My machine has two profiles, so I have to pick one. If there's only one, it might just blast past it. A thought...

You might try googling for an answer on it.

andrewas 12-09-2004 11:40 AM

Only thing I can think of is to go into administrative tools, local security policy,local policies, security options.

This first option in Interactive Logon is "do not display last user name". Might be worth a shot.

Blunderbuss 12-09-2004 04:23 PM

The exact same happend to me. One day I just had to type my password, the next, I had to click it and type my password. I haven't found a solution for it. But I'm not too bothered.

Q'alooaith 12-09-2004 04:29 PM

Time to throw some panic at you..

It could indicate a problem with your PC security settings and/or unatherised useage..

Run your virus scanner and make sure it's upto date, then run another one (just google you'll find free online ones) just to make sure..

Then try googling your problem, or you could try the Microsoft website.

Bahamut 12-10-2004 02:18 PM

Well... That happened to me also. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's no big deal, but I just press the "down" button. Yep the directional keys in the middle of the numeric keys and QWERTY keys. :D And there, asks for your password. Easier than clicking to it.

Animal 12-10-2004 09:38 PM

Download TweakXP from the Powertoys section of Microsoft and set XP to auto logon.

If you need further assistance, perhaps Powertoys isn't for you. :D

Bahamut 12-10-2004 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Animal:
Download TweakXP from the Powertoys section of Microsoft and set XP to auto logon.

If you need further assistance, perhaps Powertoys isn't for you. :D

LOL!!!

Sorry it was funny... hehehe :D

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 12-10-2004 11:41 PM

Actually, my situation is almost the opposite. How do I make it not come up with the password window at all; 'cos right now I just hit cancel anyway. Now that's high security!

[ 12-11-2004, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]