Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Atlantis found? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77489)

krunchyfrogg 11-14-2004 08:56 PM

LINK

Quote:

U.S. Researcher Says Finds Atlantis Off Cyprus

Sun Nov 14,11:35 AM ET

By Michele Kambas

LIMASSOL, Cyprus (Reuters) - A U.S. researcher on Sunday claimed he had found the lost civilization of Atlantis in the watery deep off Cyprus -- adding his theory to a mystery which has baffled explorers for centuries.

Robert Sarmast says a Mediterranean basin was flooded in a deluge around 9,000 BC which submerged a rectangular land mass he believes was Atlantis, lying about 1 mile beneath sea level between Cyprus and Syria.

"We have definitely found it," said Sarmast, who led a team of explorers 50 miles off the south-east coast of Cyprus earlier this month.

Deep water sonar scanning had indicated man-made structures on a submerged hill, including a 3-kilometer-long wall, a walled hill summit and deep trenches, he said. But further explorations were needed, he added.

"We cannot yet provide tangible proof in the form of bricks and mortar as the artifacts are still buried under several meters of sediment, but the circumstantial and other evidence is irrefutable," he claimed.

At a news conference in the port city of Limassol, Sarmast provided only animated simulations of the "hill."

Whether and where Atlantis existed has captured imaginations for centuries.

According to ancient Greek philosopher Plato, Atlantis was an island nation where an advanced civilization developed some 11,500 years ago.

Theories abound as to why it disappeared, from Atlantis being hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster to Greek mythology which describes the civilization as being so corrupted by greed and power that it was destroyed by God.

Skeptics believe Atlantis was a figment of Plato's imagination.

Sarmast says he was led to Cyprus by clues in Plato's dialogues. Plato's reference to Atlantis lying opposite the Pillars of Hercules -- believed to be the Straits of Gibraltar -- have often led explorers to focus on either the Atlantic Ocean, Ireland or the Azores off Portugal.

"People who dismiss this have not really done their homework, skeptics don't really understand. To understand the enigma of Atlantis you have to have good knowledge of ancient history, Biblical references, the Sumerian culture and their tablets and so on," said Sarmast.

Although the most prevailing story of a world cataclysm is listed in the Biblical Old Testament, several ancient cultures do list accounts of civilizations being destroyed in floods.

The Hierophant 11-15-2004 12:49 AM

Sarmast's logic: He found what appears to be a flooded man-made settlement, ergo: he found Atlantis. :rolleyes:

OK, I certainly won't leap to my own set of conclusions and say he is wrong, but I think he's being a little hasty in his conclusions here.

aleph_null1 11-15-2004 01:21 AM

Key line here:

Quote:

"We cannot yet provide tangible proof in the form of bricks and mortar as the artifacts are still buried under several meters of sediment, but the circumstantial and other evidence is irrefutable," he claimed.
"Circumstantial and other" ... I like that :D

Ilander 11-15-2004 02:28 AM

Well, hopefully the Splugoths won't come up and take us away for slaves now...

That's terribly interesting, though...but I have to wonder what they'll find! Exciting news!

Lucern 11-15-2004 03:59 AM

Hey, it gives an excuse for archaeologists to go scuba diving [img]smile.gif[/img]

And...1 mile beneath sea level? That's some flood. It's a neat find of course, but I'm as skeptical of 'Atlantis' as I am of people who say they found the Ark because they found a big boat. Where there's one city underwater, there may well be another. Maybe claiming it's Atlantis will at least ensure that they won't run out of research funds.

Dreamer128 11-15-2004 06:18 AM

I think the city of Atlantis is found at least once a year.

Link 11-15-2004 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dreamer128:
I think the city of Atlantis is found at least once a year.
Hell! And there I was thinking MacGyver found it!

krunchyfrogg 11-15-2004 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ilander:
Nice!

Nachtrafe 11-15-2004 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ilander:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Too funny! Hey...if the Splugorths *do* come out...does that mean that I can get a few tattoos? HEHE
Quote:

That's terribly interesting, though...but I have to wonder what they'll find! Exciting news!
True. Regardless of whether it's 'Atlantis' or not, it's still an incredible find and it will be interesting to follow the story.

shamrock_uk 11-15-2004 10:43 AM

The BBC article here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4011545.stm quotes the team leader as saying

Quote:

"The hill, as a whole, basically looks like a walled, hillside territory and this hillside territory matches Plato's description of the Acropolis hill with perfect precision," he said.

"Even the dimensions are exactly perfect, so if all these things are coincidental, I mean, we have the world's greatest coincidence going on."