Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Deleting Video Driver (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91777)

Albromor 09-28-2004 02:11 PM

I have been having some serious issues with my video card. Even after putting a full clean install of Windows XP and the driver(loaded by XP)for my ASUS V9280/TD Ti4200 card I still get pixels and dots and lines, but nothing like before. I called ASUS tech support and he believes it is a driver issue. His highest and best suggestion was to uninstall the current driver and install Nvidia's 56.72 driver which he stated they had solid results with for my particular card. My Video Graphics Card guide has the steps listed on what I need to do to undo the graphics card driver. So my questions are:

1. Do any of you see other things I should be aware of? and...

2. I downloaded the new driver onto my Desktop screen. It is an executable. I should be able to load it by merely clicking it on, correct?

Thanks.

Arvon 09-28-2004 02:36 PM

On 1. if the tech said it was ok, it must be. (I'd back it up).

On 2. most of the time that's true. Usually there are on screen instructions when needed.

philip 09-28-2004 03:03 PM

You probably have to install the driver under safe mode since the nvidia driver needs a reboot to completely uninstall. In safe mode you can install the thing. I don't know what the catch was anymore but I had some trouble with new drivers under windows (they're runnning fine on linux) as well and it took me a long time to get back up. So you should backup anything and maybe prepare for a complete new install if it doesn't work quick and you don't have the time to play around.

Jonas Strider 09-28-2004 03:32 PM

do a clean uninstall of the old drivers in safe mode, reboot back into safe mode. then install the new drivers in safe mode, then reboot into regular mode. make the adjustments of the desktop properties, such as refresh rate and resolution. then reboot again to get the full adjustments. next and last should be auto tuning your monitor.

you can also google for a free download called driver cleaners. you may still be able to get it at 3dfiles.com or something like that. read the instructions before proceeding.

Ronn_Bman 09-28-2004 03:36 PM

Uninstalling drivers under Windows XP has always presented me with the problem that my machine always re-installs the driver on reboot. I've never been able to cancel the process, so my successful experiences with my ti4400 have been when I installed the executable first. That creates a directory with all the necessary nVidia files unzipped and then attempts to change the driver. It will ask for a reboot. If you have problems with the driver's installation after rebooting, use Device Manager>Graphics>Upgrade Driver and point to the nVidia directory that was created, and reboot again. After you've done this, if you have any old nVidia directories you can delete them, but keep the new one.

Using this method I've never had to go the Device Manger>Graphics>Upgrade Driver options, but it is there just in case. ;)

[ 09-28-2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]

Felix The Assassin 09-28-2004 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Uninstalling drivers under Windows XP has always presented me with the problem that my machine always re-installs the driver on reboot. I've never been able to cancel the process, so my successful experiences with my ti4400 have been when I installed the executable first. That creates a directory with all the necessary nVidia files unzipped and then attempts to change the driver. It will ask for a reboot. If you have problems with the driver's installation after rebooting, use Device Manager>Graphics>Upgrade Driver and point to the nVidia directory that was created, and reboot again. After you've done this, if you have any old nVidia directories you can delete them, but keep the new one.

Using this method I've never had to go the Device Manger>Graphics>Upgrade Driver options, but it is there just in case. ;)

<font color=cccccc>You have been answered well young grasshopper, may the force be with you.

Ah yes, the early version of XP. Thankfully M$ changed that somewhere between build 1 and build 5. I started with build 1 so I have felt your pain. I'm now running build 5, and on my last hardware upgrade, it was a breeze. When I return for turkey day I will look into this SP2 that seems to be all the rave.</font>

Albromor 09-28-2004 07:55 PM

Thanks for advice everyone. RB, I'll take your suggestions because they seem to make sense in regards of setting up the directory. I am new to the whole XP system (just got rid of '98SE).

Ronn_Bman 09-29-2004 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
]<font color=cccccc>You have been answered well young grasshopper, may the force be with you.</font>
[img]graemlins/starwars.gif[/img]
Young Skywalker, the answer isn't in the knowing, the knowing itself is the answer.

:D

Albromor, XP takes a little getting used to, but you will LOVE it! Let us know if it works out.

[ 09-29-2004, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]

Albromor 10-01-2004 03:45 PM

Ronn_Bman, before taking the steps you suggested I decided to up my screen resolution to 1024 x 768 (32 bit color)and the pixels and lines, as far as I can tell, disappered. Anyone have suggestions as to why this might be? My screen resolution was 800x480 before.

Animal 10-01-2004 07:16 PM

800X480 or 800X600?

800X480 is a non standard resolution that will more often than not cause some problems when your monitor attempts to run at that.

Most standard monitors like a 4:3 ration. In other words if you take the first number and divide by 4 then divide the second number by 3, they should equal the same. At 800X600, 1024X768, 1600X1200 this works, however at your 800X480 it doesn't, hence your problem. A little simplified, but you get the idea.

If you are by chance using an LCD, than LCD's have a native resolution and running anything other than the native will cause graphical problems and issues.