Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Email addresses (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92374)

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 11-28-2004 07:47 PM

I somehow lost my wife's email addresses during the install of thunderbird. I have them in my profile. Does anyone know where these are located so that I can import them for her?

LennonCook 11-28-2004 07:52 PM

<span style="color: lightblue">How do you mean you lost them? Where were they, what program were you using before?
Are they working in Thunderbird but you've forgotten the addresses? Are they working in your old program but you don't know the details to put into Thunderbird?
Be specific.

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 11-28-2004 08:18 PM

I was using Netscape 7.2 and installed Firefox. It imported the bookmarks into the new program in my profile. I then installed Thunderbird and it imported the emails in my profile.
I then went to my wife's profile and the bookmarks and emails were not imported in her profile. I'm wondering how I can get her bookmarks and emails into her profile since I've removed Netscape. I was dumb and removed it before running those programs in her profile 'cos I'm sure it would have just done it at the beginning.
Even if I knew where the emails-bookmarks were stored I could do an import.

[ 11-28-2004, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]

LennonCook 11-28-2004 08:30 PM

<span style="color: lightblue">Ok, you might just be in luck - Gecko doesn't usually delete it's settings on uninstall (although the Netscape authors may have changed this). Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[your wife's Windows username]\Application Data
The Application Data folder won't be there unless you have hidden files and folders showing (in Tools -> Folder Options -> Advanced). More to come once I download Netscape and find out where it puts it's profile folder...

EDIT: colourfix

[ 11-28-2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 11-28-2004 08:36 PM

Hey Lennoncook, I found a restore point just before I installed the stuff. I'll just do everything again but I'd still like to know where those files are, thanks.

LennonCook 11-28-2004 08:39 PM

<span style="color: lightblue">Actually, before you go fiddling round with system restore and hidden files, try this: in Thunderbird on your wife's account, go into Tools -> Import . See if you can get it at that way. Otherwise, the netscape installer is currently filling my computer with spyware and stealing focus every few seconds...

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 11-28-2004 08:45 PM

Yeah, I did that but I have not idea in what directory the email addresses are stored. I think they're in a hidden directory. If I knew the location it would be easy.

LennonCook 11-28-2004 08:51 PM

<span style="color: lightblue">My meaning was to see if it could find the folder automagically. Anyway, I can't find the folder anywhere, I think it must use the registry for everything! Looks like Netscape bastardised Mozilla more than I thought. You can't even customize the toolbar, or show bookmarks in the sidebar! *Uninstalls Netscape*

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 11-28-2004 09:19 PM

Hey, it's still better than IE. ;)

<font color=CCFF33>Anyway, system restore did the trick and I saved a point right after it!</font>

[ 11-28-2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]

LennonCook 11-28-2004 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Hey, it's still better than IE. ;)
<span style="color: lightblue">Only just. Netscape; IE. IE is that little bit worse only because the Extremely Critical vulnerability (the IFrame Buffer Overflow) has working exploits publicised...

EDIT: Ok, Netscape's most dangerous exploit hasn't been patched even though it's been out since September... IE's has "only" been out for a few weeks. Netscape is only better than IE in it's standards support (not that that's hard), although I think it runs on such an old version of the rendering engine that it doesn't come anywhere near the standards compliance of Firefox or Opera...

[ 11-28-2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]