Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   MSN Problem (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92455)

Callum 12-09-2004 03:44 AM

My messenger doesn't show contact names... only their email addresses. This is quite annoying.

It all started after I uninstalled MSN plus, as I wasn't using any of its features at all, and it kept getting reported as spyware, so it was just using up RAM and hard disk space. However, when it left, it took the contact names with it.

I have just five minutes ago installed the msn messenger 7.0 beta, and I thought that by installing a new version, it would fix the problem. It didn't. Thinking that as 7.0 had replaced 6.2, the problem was transferred with all of my defualt settings, I then uninstalled messenger totally, and then downlaoded and installed 7.0 again. But that didn't work either.

SUrely there should be something I can do?

RoSs_bg2_rox 12-09-2004 07:19 AM

Well, have you tried restarting messenger. This has only happened once to me and I just reastarted msn and then it worked fine. Are you running a lot of other processes at the same time?

Callum 12-09-2004 07:27 AM

Yes, this problem started a while ago... a month maybe?

I hagve even tried re-installing, so restarting definitely ;)

Heh, Unicorn ya pansy! ;)

dplax 12-09-2004 08:22 AM

If you don't want spyware with Messenger Plus don't say yes, when it asks you to accept something. What you are accepting is to install its support program (AKA Lop searchbar or wwwcoolsearch depending on Mess Plus version). Your messenger plus will work anyway.

Intrepid 12-09-2004 08:33 AM

there is an option, in the messenger window, under the contacts menu, go down to "manage contacts" go to "view contacts by" and select "display name"

Callum 12-09-2004 08:39 AM

Oh, you're a marvel intrepid! Thanks a lot! :D

Intrepid 12-09-2004 09:15 AM

happy to help [img]smile.gif[/img]

RoSs_bg2_rox 12-09-2004 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Callum:

Rub it in why don't ya [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quth-Maren is probably my fav. avatar, but alas it has fallen away now, not good enough for me anymore :D

Callum 12-09-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Callum:

Rub it in why don't ya [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]That was the intention ;)

Quote:

Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Quth-Maren is probably my fav. avatar, but alas it has fallen away now, not good enough for me anymore :D
Not good enough for you? Or discarded you? Hmmm... let us ponder this :D