Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Win2k Problem: Can't click on Town Hall!! or the East Gate or The Magic Store in the First Town! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59578)

nat xtasy 10-04-2000 10:55 PM

WHen I hover the mouse over places where you start off in that you should be able to click on it doesn't highlight it nor can i enter the place. I can enter the Inn, Armory and Temple but not the Hall and who knows where else. The exit on the left hand side I can leave, but I can't leave the exit on the right hand side.

Anyone have any luck with Win2k -- what did u do please please help!

i tried everything, updated vid drivers and windowsupdate.com

abit be6, p3 550, tnt2, windows 2k sr1

MarkK 10-06-2000 02:55 PM

I'm afraid I can't offer any help, but I wanted to mention I have the identical problem. I am running Win 2k SP1 and I have the same buildings which cannot be entered. Also, when I first exit the Inn in a new game, Gareth appears to give the first quest, and he appears on the screen for maybe half a second while the text scrolls by in rapid blur. Then, I can't even scroll back to see what he said. I think there may be a problem with the voice-overs, since the only voice I've heard so far is the narrator. Not that I've gotten that far...

I hope these issues can be resolved, because good RPG's are few and far between these days, and this one looks like it has a lot of potential.

ManMountain 10-06-2000 06:07 PM

Well - it looks like the common factor here is that we are all running Windows 2000 - which for whatever mad reasoning isnt supported.

I have the same problem in 1st village - but could exit the village fine - but now that I have reached the 2nd village - all buildings are available - except this time I cant exit the village once I enter it !!

I really dont want to take the game back - because no matter how good a game it is (its fantastic !!) - no way am I going to resort to dual booting to Winblows 98 .. I couldnt handle using that crashfest again. Heres hoping a patch will come out and magically add Win 2k support (which should have been there in the first place)

CuriousYellow 10-06-2000 06:14 PM

I don't know if this is going to help anyone:

Last night I was randomly wandering through the W&W directories when I found something interesting...

There's a directory called townavi and that's precisely what it holds: AVI files with the animation of moving through the town. There are six: one holds the animation for each town, the other holds an animation of the masks that cover each building when they're highlighted.

In other words, the towns aren't rendered -- they're PLAYED as video files!

Could it be that the reason you're having trouble is with the Media player in Windows 2000? I have 95, so I don't know off the top of my head if 2000 uses a different player for AVIs...

Just a thought.

-- d

ChaoticCoyote 10-07-2000 11:18 PM

I've posted several polite and thorough messages on the HeuristicPark forum, but to no avail. I get canned responses that sound like something from a PR department; they simply don't answer any direct questions about this problem.

It is *so* maddening; the game *almost* works, except for *one* stupid problem with their town displays! I've offered to help them track it down; the offers are ignored. I've made suggestions, which HP ignores.

Heck, I *do* DirectX development; I've worked on other games. EVERY OTHER GAME I HAVE works on Win2K... and HP seems completely disinterested in solving what appears to be a *simple* problem. Throw the game on a Win2K box, run the debugger, and watch what happens when the AVIs play.

Sigh... and it looked to be such a good game.

Has anyone tried converting the AVI files to another codec?