Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   'Cure' is found for skin cancer, claim scientists (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101445)

Ziroc 04-13-2010 06:13 AM

'Cure' is found for skin cancer, claim scientists

A vaccine being tested in the UK has helped been shown to help some patients fully recover from melanoma, even in its advanced stages.
It attacks tumour cells, leaving healthy cells undamaged and carries agents that boost the body's response to skin cancer.

(Full Article Here)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...cientists.html

If this really works, its a GREAT step in the right direction. We really need to start CURING things.. Diabetes, Cancer... Seems like they like selling pills though, and not curing as much.. More money in that. (I hope I'm wrong about that thought)....

ElfBane 04-13-2010 08:26 AM

Re: 'Cure' is found for skin cancer, claim scientists

Curing is a noble goal. But it will probably involve DNA manipulation and stem cell research... a sure fire way to rile up the Religious and the Right.

SpiritWarrior 04-13-2010 12:25 PM

I doubt those who suffer from it will care. Most likely they'll just pretend it doesn't exist - like the rest of science. No biggie, as long as the rest of us have a cure , let them continue to scream that the earth is flat while victims of cancer start recovering.

Firestormalpha 04-13-2010 01:40 PM

Since when did this turn from a thread on news about a potential cure for cancer to a bash people who's views you disagree with thread? I'm starting to think maybe things would be better off had the forum gone down.

As for the vaccine, sounds pretty cool, but I haven't read the article yet, so I don't know the specifics.

Timber Loftis 04-13-2010 02:35 PM

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...ame=healthNews

I'll quote Fark: Chinese scientists find cure for cancer. Of course, since it's China, it involves tainting your blood with toxic metals. :)

SpiritWarrior 04-13-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestormalpha (Post 1239544)
Since when did this turn from a thread on news about a potential cure for cancer to a bash people who's views you disagree with thread? I'm starting to think maybe things would be better off had the forum gone down.

As for the vaccine, sounds pretty cool, but I haven't read the article yet, so I don't know the specifics.

Welcome to american politics. When their president is awarded the nobel peace prize they boo, when terrorists attack, they cheer. I agree with you, it is indeed ridiculous, but it's how it is now.

Ziroc 04-13-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestormalpha (Post 1239544)
I'm starting to think maybe things would be better off had the forum gone down.

Really? You really think Ironworks should have died? Please say you don't mean that, I would be crushed if IW did go down. I love IW!

Firestormalpha 04-13-2010 04:54 PM

No Z, I didn't mean it. It was an emotional response. You post something that should be potentially good news and people turn it into a bash fest for those they disagree with. Stuff like that gets under my skin. I'm sorry for any distress I may have caused.

Albromor 04-13-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElfBane (Post 1239539)
Curing is a noble goal. But it will probably involve DNA manipulation and stem cell research... a sure fire way to rile up the Religious and the Right.

Uh, talk about broad stroke generalizations imposed upon people you don't know. FYI many people I know are religious and lean right who do genetic and medical research who would embrace these kind of cures. What they venemously object to -- and this will probably get locked down fast -- is the use of aborted fetuses and NOT t-cell research or adult stem cell or genetic research, etc.

Having had cancer cells removed myself I think it is a good thing to find cures for such diseases.

* And Z this is a good place. :)

Ziroc 04-14-2010 09:02 AM

I'm sure many have had a friend or family member with cancer--my Mom died of Lung cancer, and we basically watched as she slowly died. (Hospice helped a lot with her/us)

So ANY cure would be welcomed in any field of cancer.
Another big one is Diabetes--I hear they are close to a cure for--I forget which type-- but that would be great. Same for Aids and all the other killers.

I FREAK about Autism. 1 in 120 children are born with it. That is just plain insane. An unacceptable statistic. They REALLY need to figure out what causes this...

If we have a child, that will be on my mind. (along with 10000 other things hehe)