Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Saving My Files (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16651)

Lord 07-15-2005 08:51 PM

My computer is completely messed up, but I can view my files in safe mode in my directory, so I'd like to save my Baldur's Gate games. I can only transfer these files onto floppy disks since the computer doesn't have a CD burner. For BG2, which files should I save?
I think I should save:

-characters
-save
-baldur.ini
-Chitin (do I need this?)
-dialog

and I think that's it. My dialog file is 8.87 mb however, which won't fit on a floppy disk. Do I really need it? I'm currently in the middle of a game, so I think I would need that file to continue the game properly...right?

For BG 1, I should save:

-characters
-save
-baldur.ini
-Chitin (once again, do I need this?)
-dialog

dialog is only 3.26 mb, so it'll fit on a disk in this case.

Am I missing any files that I should be saving? I have no idea what Keymap is or if I need anything else.

edit: the stupid computer won't even copy the files onto the disk. I'm in safe mode and I drag the files from the directory to my floppy A drive, but nothing happens. I try to copy and paste and nothing happens there either. How can I save my games???

[ 07-15-2005, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Lord ]

Dalamar Stormcrow 07-16-2005 12:45 AM

Save should be the only one you need if you're worried about keeping your characters...

ElfBane 07-16-2005 03:47 AM

The only thing you need to save is the 'savegames', and only one of them, though I would save at least two.
If "safe" mode won't let you copy your saves, then you will have to go into DOS mode and do it there.

Lord 07-16-2005 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ElfBane:
The only thing you need to save is the 'savegames', and only one of them, though I would save at least two.
If "safe" mode won't let you copy your saves, then you will have to go into DOS mode and do it there.

can you please instruct me on how to do that? My directory is in:

C:\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate II- SoA

Or at least something like that.

ElfBane 07-16-2005 06:38 PM

What OS are you using?

ElfBane 07-16-2005 06:41 PM

What OS are you using?

Lord 07-17-2005 03:01 AM

it's a Windows ME

ElfBane 07-17-2005 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lord:
it's a Windows ME
Sorry, I can't help you. I know nothing about WinME. I tried "safe" mode on my 98SE machine, and I had no problems copy/pasting files from the HD to a stiffie. Maybe try that again?

Lavindathar 07-17-2005 12:21 PM

<font color="cyan">Try and get hold of a program called WinInternals.

That will let you do everything you need, as if you were in Windows. But your actually in Dos.</font>

Lord 07-17-2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lavindathar:
<font color="cyan">Try and get hold of a program called WinInternals.

That will let you do everything you need, as if you were in Windows. But your actually in Dos.</font>

where can i get this program? Also, would I put it on a disk and then boot the computer in dos and use it from there?