Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dragon Age™ Origins (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Anyone playing this with a Single Core computer? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101153)

Luvian 11-07-2009 09:18 AM

Anyone playing this with a Single Core computer?

I have a friend who's interested in getting Dragon Age Origins for the PC but he's got a single core 3 ghz. Anyone here actually tried it and knows how the performances are on that?

SpiritWarrior 11-07-2009 11:15 AM

Re: Anyone playing this with a Single Core computer?

Not I, but I would venture to say it wouldn't be too problematical. This doesn't seem to be hard on the processor like say, Oblivion was. Still, you never know. Best bet would be to ask in the DA forums on Bioware.

SpiritWarrior 11-07-2009 11:41 AM

Or (sorry just crossed my mind) you could also try to disable a core and test it for him on your own rig.

Luvian 11-07-2009 07:15 PM

I never tried. I'm not sure how I would go about disabling 3 cores.

Kezardin 11-07-2009 08:29 PM

Luvian,

If you've got XP and an Intel CPU you can do it via task manager. Start the program then access task manager with the program running in the background.

In task manager select 'processes' and find the .exe for the program - right click it and select 'set affinity' - then deselect the number of cores you want and click 'ok'.

Hayashi 12-16-2009 11:06 PM

Any updates on this? I'm interested in knowing whether I can run this game on a 3.4GHz CPU, not sure if it's core 2 or whatever.

Luvian 12-17-2009 04:40 AM

I didn't get around to trying it. The few times I get any time to play I jump in and forget about testing. I'll have to try and think about it.

Sparhawk 12-17-2009 05:14 AM

I have not tried this - but following the official forums I did spot a few posts about people having issues with this cause they overlooked that the game does not support single core hardware.

I am pretty sure it would work after a bit of tweaking though...just my five cents worth

SpiritWarrior 12-17-2009 07:51 PM

I will try it in the next week for you, disabling one of my cores.

ElfBane 12-29-2009 05:23 AM

Here's my rig;
1. WIN XP w/SP3
2. 2.533GHZ single core CPU
3. 2GB RAM
4. GeForce 7600GS w/512MB onboard video RAM

This machine runs DA:O acceptably on the "high" graphics setting. It has some video skipping, which, so far, is OK by me...BUT I HAVEN'T been in any big battles yet. The most I've had in the party so far are Jowan and Lily (mage origin), and the most baddies we fought were 3, maybe 4, sentinels. I also experience slight audio skipping in the cut scenes.

The overall experience is good, and I can live with these problems, even knowing that BIG battles may bog down the rig. And I like the storyline so far.

All of the above game behaviour is with the AV turned off or snoozed. With my AV turned on, the game is noticeably clunkier.