Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Your Next RPG should be The Witcher -- NEW SCREENSHOTS! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97888)

Ziroc 09-18-2007 12:34 AM

Your Next RPG should be The Witcher -- NEW SCREENSHOTS!

I have been watching the development of this game for like, five years now. It uses the Neverwinter ONE aurora engine--which has been TOTALLY upgraded to look better than Bioshock even. But it's the ROLEPLAYING aspect that looks amazing--Fallout 1 amazing.

http://www.thewitcher.com/

They are getting ready for release soon! I may have to make a Forum for this killer Game. It will also come with an editor. :D So mods are going to be made too.
Bioware has just publicly said they recommend the game--It won best of show at E3 for RPG's. IGN and Gamespot are raving about it, and say its one of 2007's most anticipated RPG Games!
I've been talking about it for a few years in the Misc. Games forum, but I wanted to post this HERE, so more of you see it. THIS could be what Neverwinter Nights was SUPPOSED to be.

The only 'down' side is you don't get to make a character or have a party. BUT, with the editor, and mods, I think that could change! :D

JrKASperov 09-18-2007 02:25 AM

Re: Your Next RPG should be The Witcher!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziroc (Post 1189647)
It won best of show at E3 for RPG's. IGN and Gamespot are raving about it, and say its one of 2007's most anticipated RPG Games!

So... this kind of discredits the whole best RPG since Fallout1 thing... IGN and Gamespot haven't been exactly fair about most games for the past years. Bioshock 9 or 10/10? Oblivion 9/10? I don't think so...

On the other hand, the developers have been stressing the choice&consequence thing, which is kind of a rarety. I wouldn't be surprised it was wasn't very deep and dissappointing though.

Luvian 09-18-2007 02:52 AM

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Not only does it look interesting, it's going to give a black eye to the NWN2 Engine.

Ziroc 09-18-2007 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrKASperov (Post 1189652)
So... this kind of discredits the whole best RPG since Fallout1 thing... IGN and Gamespot haven't been exactly fair about most games for the past years. Bioshock 9 or 10/10? Oblivion 9/10? I don't think so...

On the other hand, the developers have been stressing the choice&consequence thing, which is kind of a rarity. I wouldn't be surprised it was wasn't very deep and disappointing though.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Gamespot and IGN are up in the publishers asses, and give reviews for $$ pretty much (Ad sales).. Remember when Computer Gaming World was young, and Scorpia was dead honest about games? I miss those days.

The current trend in the USA is 'release the game' then find bugs. I've noticed Eurogaming companies have been polishing their games up more lately. This game HAS been in the works for 5 years, so you know they poured their hearts into it, to make it right. (We hope) ;)

Seeing 'Atari' as the publisher is a bit of a downer though. They are known for pushing out KNOWN bugged games and not giving to craps about it. I believe the witcher will be an exception though. CD Projekt is a VERY good game studio.

robertthebard 09-18-2007 07:46 AM

If they add SecuROM to the mix, as with NWN 2, they will have more disappointed gamers out there. Almost a full year after release of NWN 2, and there are still people that are locked out of NWN 2.

Kakero 09-18-2007 09:42 AM

My Next RPG? Hmm..I still got some other rpg that I haven't play yet.....

Quote:

The only 'down' side is you don't get to make a character or have a party. BUT, with the editor, and mods, I think that could change! :D

I don't get to make my own character? Already this doesn't sound like my Next RPG. :P

Micah Foehammer 09-18-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

I have been watching the development of this game for like, five years now. It uses the Neverwinter ONE aurora engine--which has been TOTALLY upgraded to look better than Bioshock even. But it's the ROLEPLAYING aspect that looks amazing--Fallout 1 amazing.

http://www.thewitcher.com/

They are getting ready for release soon! I may have to make a Forum for this killer Game. It will also come with an editor. :D So mods are going to be made too.
Bioware has just publicly said they recommend the game--It won best of show at E3 for RPG's. IGN and Gamespot are raving about it, and say its one of 2007's most anticipated RPG Games!

The digs at NWN2 aside, I agree that this is an awesome looking game. I've already pre-ordered it. :)

The single character option isn't a big deal. PsT had the single character option as well and we all known how great a game THAT was.

JrKASperov 09-18-2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziroc (Post 1189659)
Yeah, I know what you mean. Gamespot and IGN are up in the publishers asses, and give reviews for $$ pretty much (Ad sales).. Remember when Computer Gaming World was young, and Scorpia was dead honest about games? I miss those days.

I don't know about those, it's probably before my time. :D

Quote:

The current trend in the USA is 'release the game' then find bugs. I've noticed Eurogaming companies have been polishing their games up more lately. This game HAS been in the works for 5 years, so you know they poured their hearts into it, to make it right. (We hope) ;)

Seeing 'Atari' as the publisher is a bit of a downer though. They are known for pushing out KNOWN bugged games and not giving to craps about it. I believe the witcher will be an exception though. CD Projekt is a VERY good game studio.
Yeah it's a sad thing games must be released before they are done. I sure hope the Witcher will be a big break from all the 'new' RPG's because I'm itching for some good old character building and seeing the results ingame. Arcanum was the last in that regard.

Target 09-18-2007 11:07 AM

Dam, can't go to http://www.thewitcher.com/ on the work computer :(
Something to do at home.
Hope this is not a daft question, do you take a party or just a single character round?

Micah Foehammer 09-18-2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Target (Post 1189698)
Dam, can't go to http://www.thewitcher.com/ on the work computer :(
Something to do at home.
Hope this is not a daft question, do you take a party or just a single character round?

Single character I believe. Haven't read anything about travelling with other companions, although I know that you can enlist the aid of other people to accomplish verious quest. :)

Black Baron 09-18-2007 01:28 PM

If it will be as short as Dark Messiah, it will be disaster, because it looks really good.

Attalus 09-18-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

So... this kind of discredits the whole best RPG since Fallout1 thing...

Bah, the Best RPG since Fallout 1 was BG/BG2. :P

I've already preordered it, too. I really, really hope there is a seperate Forum for the Witcher.

JrKASperov 09-18-2007 03:49 PM

Actually, BG(either 1 or 2) was a good game, but a bad RPG. Almost no choices nor consequences, a mage with int 18 would have a nihil amount of differences playing through the game compared with a 3 int fighter.

Micah Foehammer 09-18-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

So... this kind of discredits the whole best RPG since Fallout1 thing...

The best RPGS since Fallout 1 were Fallout 2 and PsT.

Attalus 09-19-2007 06:08 PM

Why you guys liked Fallout, I will never know...:eyeroll:

Micah Foehammer 09-19-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attalus (Post 1189839)
Why you guys liked Fallout, I will never know...:eyeroll:

Not Fallout ... Fallout 2. MUCH better game. :) hehehe

Ilander 09-20-2007 10:53 AM

....I wonder :hidesbehindsofa: if Fallout 3 will be as awesome as it looks...but I like Bethesda, so I'm a little biased.

The Witcher looks cool, and 1up seems pretty warm toward it, but my next RPG will probably be Hellgate: London.

I love me some post-apocalyptic settings, even if it will be a bit on the shallow side, roleplaying-wise.

The Witcher might well come after that, once there's a bit of a mod community.

I really should learn how to mod these games, at least to make simple quests!

Ziroc 10-03-2007 04:09 PM

BTW, Bioware has a huge image on their NWN1 site saying "Bioware recommends The Witcher". What is freaking funny, and telling, is they DIDN'T do that for NWN2. :D :hehe:

http://www.thewitcher.com/bioware/

If they recommend it, you KNOW it rocks. End of the Month guys! Oct 30th!! I am making a web area for it now!
A huge game editor is also being released, so mods will be made as well!! (It uses the NWN aurora engine--but modified to hell and back and looks AMAZING!).

Micah Foehammer 10-04-2007 09:33 PM

Re: Your Next RPG should be The Mask of the Betrayer!

Pity you guys are choosing to ignore Mask of the Betrayer. The story is awesome, and the game engine cruises ..... :D

Ziroc 10-05-2007 12:38 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Oh wow. Been reading up on The Witcher more--you can make potions, bribe people, go into a bar, play table games.. It's an honest to goodness CRPG.

Here are some screenshots, I also added like 30 or so to a RAR file-- YOU GOT TO SEE THEM! (It shows inventory, GUI and some of the RPG aspects, as well as some talents to choose.

Ziroc 10-05-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer (Post 1191240)
Pity you guys are choosing to ignore Mask of the Betrayer. The story is awesome, and the game engine cruises ..... :D

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...8094&forum=121

Sounds like deja vu. Fool me once....

Calaethis Dragonsbane 10-05-2007 05:08 AM

Re: Your Next RPG should be The Witcher -- NEW SCREENSHOTS!

It looks pretty. I wonder if it'll be any good - it looks like it might, but I won't get my hopes up *sticks it on Christmas list*

Micah Foehammer 10-05-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziroc (Post 1191252)
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...8094&forum=121

Sounds like deja vu. Fool me once....

If people had followed the patching/ installation procedure that Obsidian had posted most of those problems would NOT have occured, Z. And they had a hotfix out for the remainder within 2 days iirc.

SoU and HotU had some of the same problems if you weren't careful with the patches.

Elif Godson 10-05-2007 12:53 PM

looks sweet, will have to get me a copy!

ZFR 10-05-2007 01:57 PM

I really wonder how the story compares to the books.

The books were the best ones I've ever read. I highly recommend them.

ZFR 10-05-2007 02:00 PM

I don't knoiw... I have a bit bad feelings about games based on books... in the same way that I don't like movies based on games...

I hope they don't screw up the storyline.

EDIT:

OK, from the little info available about the storyline I gather that this games is a CONTINUATION of the events portrayed in the books.

If that's the case, I'm not buying this game.

I made a big post before about why BG3 shouldn't be produced. I feel even more strongly about this here.

A good story must have a beginning and an *end*. What I really hate is a story that is just being continued and continued and continued.

I really loved the books. But the story there got FINISHED. Why would someone want to necromanize it, dig it up and try to continue it is beyond me.

I hope I'm wrong here. I hope that the game story is about events in the book. Not a continuation.

Crap. They make such a great game and they can't come up with a good storyline. Is it that difficult to create a new story?

Ziroc 10-05-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer (Post 1191277)
If people had followed the patching/ installation procedure that Obsidian had posted most of those problems would NOT have occurred, Z. And they had a hotfix out for the remainder within 2 days iirc.

SoU and HotU had some of the same problems if you weren't careful with the patches.

Um, the patching issues are but a 4% part of the issue, man. read all the posts. There's TONS of more bugs. Why, instead of making an expansion, don't they work on the mess they made.
Patching in other games, NWN1, WOW, 99% of others--you click update, or it tells you, and installs it. and its done. No needing to go to the forums to find out how to jerry rig it. Come on.. You KNOW 50% or
more of the players don't even know a forum exists. :) Face it, Obsidian isn't a great developer. IMO, they have tainted the Neverwinter Nights name.
I had no problems with any of the patches for NWN. In any regard, no more NWN2 talk here, lets stay on topic. This if for The Witcher.

JrKASperov 10-05-2007 04:05 PM

What NWN name?

A shallow game with a constantly buggy engine that badly implemented 3.0 rules?

As for the witcher... They started hyping the consequences real good but after watching the dialogue movie, I'm not too impressed. Nothing but "I'm Jack Bauer" nonsense.

Dreamer128 10-05-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZFR (Post 1191301)
I really wonder how the story compares to the books.

The books were the best ones I've ever read. I highly recommend them.

Were they translated into English?

ZFR 10-05-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamer128 (Post 1191310)
Were they translated into English?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_witcher

Sadly no....

But according to wiki: The stories and novels have been translated into Czech, Slovak, German, Russian, Lithuanian, French and Spanish.

So if you speak any of these languages and can get your hands on the book...

There are 5 books + 2 prequels. Making the saga a total of 7 books. The prequel books should be read first before the other 5. You miss on storyline if you don't

Apparently the first prequel book has been translated into English. But reading it alone is like reading the first 4 chapters of Fellowship of the ring.

EDIT:
And never never ever watch the movie/TV series!!! It's a complete disaster.

Micah Foehammer 10-05-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZFR (Post 1191314)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_witcher

Sadly no....

But according to wiki: The stories and novels have been translated into Czech, Slovak, German, Russian, Lithuanian, French and Spanish.

So if you speak any of these languages and can get your hands on the book...

There are 5 books + 2 prequels. Making the saga a total of 7 books. The prequel books should be read first before the other 5. You miss on storyline if you don't

Apparently the first prequel book has been translated into English. But reading it alone is like reading the first 4 chapters of Fellowship of the ring.

EDIT:
And never never ever watch the movie/TV series!!! It's a complete disaster.

One book is supposedly being translated now and is supposed to be in print in english next year i think.

ZFR 10-06-2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer (Post 1191350)
One book is supposedly being translated now and is supposed to be in print in english next year i think.

Yes as I said:

"Apparently the first prequel book has been translated into English. But reading it alone is like reading the first 4 chapters of Fellowship of the ring."

Still, hopefully it would mean the rest of the books come out later...