Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   BG2 or Icewind Dale (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58908)

Ranger 11-12-2001 08:31 PM

I just finished BG1 and loved it! I rushed right out to buy BG2 and saw Icewind Dale on the shelf. Hmm, what to do?

Which game is better?

As I understand it, if I purchase BG2, I'll be able to import my BG1 character and work him up to about 20th level by the end of the game. With Icewind Dale, I'll start a new character at level 1 and build him through about level 14 by the end of the game. Is this correct?

Is Icewind Dale substantially bigger that BG1? How else would I get to level 14?

I really enjoyed to storyline aspect to BG1. Does Icewind Dale follow the same format?

Do both games use the same AD&D 2nd Edition rules?

Any input would be appreciated.

Ranger

AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe 11-12-2001 08:36 PM

you should try this post in the general discussion forum, or the player polls forum, you might getter more/better answers

Mitro Jellywadder 11-12-2001 08:48 PM

Ranger,

I have both and both have their strong points. Different spells in both of them. Although, the majority of them are the same. If you enjoyed playing your BG character, then take him through BG II. When you are finished with that, take him through Throne of Bhaal. Then your character can get way up there.

Icewind dale was more of a linear game. Everything opened up in order. You have to finish this and then you can continue type game. Baldur's Gate II offers you more choices from a roleplaying perspective. You don't have to necessarily complete certain things in order. You can turn things down or accept them as you want. Other than the immediate story line, there are tons of side quests. You have more choices throughout the game.

Both are good. You can buy Heart of Winter to continue on your Icewind Dale series. So they're both good.

My vote goes for BG II though.

Lothar 11-12-2001 09:04 PM

BGII in the house!!!!

Seid 11-12-2001 10:20 PM

Baldur's gate 2 is far better than I cewind Dale. There is no competition [img]smile.gif[/img]

Barloc 11-12-2001 10:22 PM

i didnt enjoy icewindale because it was just fighting, fighting and fighting.

kingpats 11-13-2001 09:02 AM

bg2 all the way, icewind dale sux compared to gate2

Sir Byronas 11-13-2001 09:16 AM

I would say you buy BG2. It is better in my opinion.

Keylow 11-13-2001 01:45 PM

But Icewind Dale is pretty cool too. It may be more hack-and-slash,
but it's still a very good game.
I also think the snow in iwd looks really cool, does the atmosphere a lot of good.
I like some of the spell effects in iwd better than those in bg2
(Cone of Cold comes to mind...).

And iwd has really good music! I just love that Easthaven tune.

Bokken 11-13-2001 03:07 PM

I have to agree with Keylow here. Sure it is a hack & slash like he pointed out but it sure has it's good bits. The first thing that I noticed in BG2 after drinking a normal potion was how the effects had changed. There are many things that I preffer more in one than the other which I will not really get into though. I would have to say that BG2 is (to my opinion) a more enjoyable game, but Icewind Dale (to my opinion again) is one not to be missed! It might be different in quite a few ways but sometimes a bit of change can be good [img]smile.gif[/img]