Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baldurdash Fixpack and Grandmastery (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16805)

Darc_Mind 11-16-2005 01:17 PM

Does this fixpack fix the grandmastery bug?

ZFR 11-16-2005 01:40 PM

AFAIK yes

ister 11-16-2005 02:05 PM

It's not really a bug you know. It's implemented as Black Isle intended, although that's not per official rules.

I'm pretty sure that baldurdash leaves GM alone. Or maybe you can choose not to change it? I have baldurdash and the original version of GM.

[ 11-16-2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: ister ]

Darc_Mind 11-16-2005 02:32 PM

so is there any point in going 5 points into a skill if it doesn't change it as per official rules?

timothy trotter 11-16-2005 02:50 PM

what is the so called bug mentioned? does GM not actually make you any better? have i been wasting points needlessly?

Zarr 11-17-2005 03:33 PM

Darc_mind: The grandmastery fix isn't included in the Baldurdash fixpack but there is a seperate fix for it somewhere else on the Baldurdash website.

Timothy: Grandmastery isn't as big a benifit in BG2 as it would be in pen and paper as you don't gain the extra 1/2 attack in BG2. So you do benefit a bit but not as much as you should. You gain a bonus to damage and maybe to hit( I'm not sure exactly haven't played the game for a long time) in BG2 (like pen 'n' paper) but as stated not the extra half attack.

krunchyfrogg 11-17-2005 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zarr:

Timothy: Grandmastery isn't as big a benifit in BG2 as it would be in pen and paper as you don't gain the extra 1/2 attack in BG2. So you do benefit a bit but not as much as you should. You gain a bonus to damage and maybe to hit( I'm not sure exactly haven't played the game for a long time) in BG2 (like pen 'n' paper) but as stated not the extra half attack.

There is no "grandmastery" in pen and paper. You are either not proficient, proficient, or specialized in a weapon (+1 hit/+2 damage, extra 1/2 ApR).

The grandmastery "fix" will almost definitely help the enemies more than you, unless you're playing with at least two characters who can get past specialized, IMO.

BTW, you still do get better as you add points without the "patch," but it isn't as much as if the grandmastery rules were like they are in BGI and IWD.

Zink Whistlefly 11-18-2005 05:29 AM

Without patch:

* = no attack/damage/ApR penalties
** = +1 to hit, +2 damage, +0.5 ApR
*** = +2 to hit, +2 damage, +0.5 ApR
**** = +2 hit, +2 damage, -1 speed factor, +0.5 ApR
***** = +2 hit, +3 damage, -1 speed factor, +0.5 ApR

With patch:
* = no attack/damage/ApR penalties
** = +1 to hit, +2 damage, +0.5 ApR
*** = +3 to hit, +3 damage, +0.5 ApR
**** = +3 hit, +4 damage, +0.5 ApR
***** = +3 hit, +5 damage, +1.5 ApR

It is reasonably understandable why they crippled grandmastery over BG1, considering BG2 has bonus 1 weapon fighting, 2 weapon fighting and 2 handed weapon fighting proficiencies, but this does little to offest the full +1.5 attacks a character receives from Grandmastery (as it was in BG1 (although not achievable) and IWD).

Whether you wish to use it or not is entirely up to you, but playing on higher difficulty levels, or with mods such as tactics make it more justifiable IMO. When I play a stock "core difficulty" game I tend to leave this one out.

Magness 11-26-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
There is no "grandmastery" in pen and paper. You are either not proficient, proficient, or specialized in a weapon (+1 hit/+2 damage, extra 1/2 ApR).
[/QB]
Actually, krunchy, those are the 3rd ed rules. In the previous PnP ruleset, there most certainly WAS "grandmastery".

krunchyfrogg 11-26-2005 05:31 PM

No there wasn't.

The only time "Grandmastery" was ever in pen and paper Dungeons & Dragons was in the Basic D&D game, and it was introduced as an optional ruleset.

In the 3rd edition rules, you are either proficient, have spent one feat to have weapon focus in a weapon, or spend an additional feat (and have fulfilled the prerequisite of at least 4 fighter levels) to become specialized for a +2 on damage with a weapon you already have weapon focus in.