Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   SAVE RUMPHY!!! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32450)

moiraine sedai 10-15-2003 08:14 PM

Just having read and posted on the 'Missing Traits' thread, I feel compelled to try and investigate Rumphy, and why he keeps on reappearing...

I shall endeavour to try and save this grumpy spirit, although I'm not quite sure how... Any suggestions?

I have a couple of ideas:

1) Talk to him from a distance, not allowing him to attack and therefore become hostile.

2) Kill him once, and when he comes back, give him the wand of sleep that he drops.

3)Kill him only with dispel undead spells (or dust to dust spells)

Moiraine Sedai

Radek 10-16-2003 03:22 AM

IIRC, Dispel Undead does not work here.

moiraine sedai 10-16-2003 08:23 AM

Damn! :mad:

Already one possibility has been scrapped...

Moiraine Sedai

Wyvern 10-16-2003 08:44 AM

Rumphy is rather like a spirit (Humphrey, I believe) in the early Wizardry games. The point was never to be able to save either but to give players a fairly good way to increase experience and $ within the early stages of the game. Rumphy is meant to reappear over and over. When you first encounter these spirits they are a good challenge. While I didn't bother to "work with Rumphy", I regularly visited and dispatched Humphrey. I could make my way to his space on the first level blindfolded! :D

Certainly an interesting project but I think you will find that there is no way to truly get rid of him.

Wyv

bsftcs 10-16-2003 11:05 AM

Any help in this most righteous quest is much appreciated. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] If the missing traits are at all included and therefore to be found they are bound to be found in the most unlikely places.

Olli Kalma 10-16-2003 05:42 PM

Does Rumphy reappear after you killed it?
I didn't know that! So, if you wait some period, does he be there again after you killed him! huh!

[endless xp]

Bungleau 10-16-2003 05:59 PM

Yep, he does reappear, Olli. Going back to the room where Kerah's statue is triggers it. And you get a new wand every time you kill him, too... [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]

moiraine sedai 10-18-2003 09:01 AM

There's an idea! Maybe he will respond to the word 'Kerah'? Or maybe the inscription on the back of the amulet you get off F'Lokis Ra...?

So many possibilities!

Moiraine Sedai

CerebroDragon 10-19-2003 07:33 AM

I remember meeting Rumphy, but in my over-eagerness to really get into the Crypt and go up in levels, I merely unheedingly attempted to put him out of his misery by killing him. [img]smile.gif[/img] Didn't think of many other possibilities at the time, so reading this thread makes me regret that a bit. Maybe I'll make a revisit to the Crypt at some point to say 'allo and try a few things on him! [img]smile.gif[/img]

On a slightly off-topic note, I was reminded by this thread of the sad fate of a character who I thought would play a greater role in the game - Gareth.
Is there any way to save him from the clutches of that evil Traveller by killing him perhaps before he can do his evil deed? I guess its very early on in the game when you first see the Traveller, thus it may well be a perilous task to take him on.
Hmmmm....I wonder if Gareth's death is a scripted event which happens anyway regardless of what you try to do to save him, either way, its all very interesting!

bsftcs 10-19-2003 01:01 PM

Spoilers

Gareth dies even if the traveller is killed when encountered. I have tried that. If one of one's characters takes the role of assassin he or she is prompted to kill the evil assassin Grue Morde who turns out to be the very same as the traveller. Grue Morde will also appear even if he has been killed as "the traveller".