Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   American Senator Trent Lott (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83131)

skywalker 12-15-2002 12:39 PM

Question:

Should Trent Lott step down as Senate Majority Leader? If so or if not, why?

Will he step down? What is your prediction?

Mark

[ 12-17-2002, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: skywalker ]

Ronn_Bman 12-15-2002 12:43 PM

I'll show you my opinion if you show me yours. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Attalus 12-15-2002 12:46 PM

My position, as every coservative that I know of, is that Lott is an idiot and an embarrassment to the GOP. He should resign ASAP. See Charles Krauthammer's column and Peggy Noonan's column

Ronn_Bman 12-15-2002 12:59 PM

I thought Gore's impersonation of Lott on Saturday Night Live was hilarious last night. "I meant no offense to any white person, almost all of my friends are white people, and I myself am a white person...we should leave no white person behind"

Unfortunately, for all the reasons it's hilarious it's also damaging to the Republican party. While it's not representative of the party, Lott's continued leadership will be seen as a sign it is. :(

Btw, Gore was funny, but I'm not sure his appearence on SNL can be seen as presidental. I think he's trying to take a page from Clinton's book, but he's taken it too far. Especially donning make-up and impersonating Lott.

So Mark, what's your answer to your question?

EDIT - For the record, I think the comment was ridiculous, but I don't think he made it from a pro-Dixicrate POV. I think he said it because he's an idiot. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Did anyone hear this comment about his relationship with Strom at the press conference on Friday?

Quote:

Trent Lott said:
...we have a platonic father-son relationship.

As opposed to a "romantic, sexual" father-son relationship....lol :D

[ 12-15-2002, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]

skywalker 12-15-2002 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I would have figured my opinion would have been guessed already.

I do think he should resign.

I think his apology should be accepted, but I believe he has damaged all the work his party has done thus far in regards to race relations. Republicans have worked very hard to make all races feel that they are welcome in their party. This remark and many of his actions and words in the past have not helped

I believe he thinks he made a mistake. I'm not sure if the mistake was that he said what he meant and just forgot where he was and what the reprecussions would be.

He will again be a very powerful man in the Senate. He will set the agenda and the tone of the Senate. I'm not sure if he deserves the privilege of the position. I would recommened Bill Frist as a replacement.

Lott is damaged goods. The Republican Party has an enormous opportunity to do much good in this country. I fear that Lott will be unable to lead and will be dogged by this controversy for forseeable future.

I do not believe he will go or be forced out, because he has stated that he will step down as a Senator if he is made to resign. He holds the trump card. If he leaves, the Democratic Governer of Mississippi will surely appoint a Democrat to replace him which would make it a 50/50 split in the Senate. As far as the government is concerned, I am sure this will not and can not happen.

My opinion! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark

[ 12-15-2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: skywalker ]

skywalker 12-15-2002 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
I thought Gore's impersonation of Lott on Saturday Night Live was hilarious last night. "I meant no offense to any white person, almost all of my friends are white people, and I myself am a white person...we should leave no white person behind"

Unfortunately, for all the reasons it's hilarious it's also damaging to the Republican party. While it's not representative of the party, Lott's continued leadership will be seen as a sign it is. :(

Btw, Gore was funny, but I'm not sure his appearence on SNL can be seen as presidental. I think he's trying to take a page from Clinton's book, but he's taken it too far. Especially donning make-up and impersonating Lott.

So Mark, what's your answer to your question?

I was working on it as you were posting. :D

And personally, I think Al Gore should take a hike. I think he and his attitude of late is not useful to the Democrats or America at large.

Mark

Ronn_Bman 12-15-2002 01:13 PM

I'm with you on that first post, although I hope your final paragraph is proved wrong. :D

Your last post about Gore is true, too. I really think Gore is trying hard to capitalize on Clinton's ability to do television, and the way Bob Dole became more likable after the '96 election when he loosened up and did the same thing, but it's a bit different for Gore because he probably want to run in '04. Maybe he's trying too hard?

[ 12-15-2002, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]

Ronn_Bman 12-15-2002 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by skywalker:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

I would have figured my opinion would have been guessed already.</font>[/QUOTE]I did guess which way you were leaning, but I wanted to hear your reasons, too. I suspected, in this case, our ideas wouldn't be too far apart. ;) :D

skywalker 12-15-2002 02:46 PM

As far as I'm concerned Gore is damaged goods, too. He seems to be trying to be an outsider, which is just a crock of you-know-what.

Mark

Attalus 12-15-2002 03:09 PM

If I were a Democrat, I would be working like hell to make sure that Gore was not my party's standard-bearer in 2004.