Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dragon Age™ Origins (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Hi, High Dragon (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101231)

Chewbacca 12-17-2009 09:34 PM

Hi, High Dragon

Spoilers possible!

How late in the game can I go back and fight the High Dragon from the Urn quest? Feel free to comment , brag, and offer stratergery on this encounter as well.

robertthebard 12-17-2009 11:13 PM

Re: Hi, High Dragon

Be prepared for a fun fight, because it is one. Try to keep ranged characters ranged, as the dragon may take this personally. You will be doing some micromanaging for it. I kept my rogue behind the dragon, as much as possible as well. It is hard to do, sometimes, as it likes to jump around. When it warms up for breath weapons, try to move to one side or the other to stay out of it's direct line of fire too.

Greything 12-18-2009 06:47 AM

You can go back any time before the final fight as I understand it.

You probably know this already but make sure you keep Kolgan's Horn as the dragon will not come unless you have it.

Ranged weapons and Shale rule here. There are one or two places on the mountain top that the dragon cannot reach except with breath weapons. You will still need to micromanage the fight but find them and it saves a lot of running around.

I tend to do this fight as soon as possible - the loot is not only valuable but is very helpful in other areas.

Chewbacca 12-18-2009 08:41 AM

Thanks guys!

I'm running a Mage who went back to The Circle first after Ostagar and to Redcliff second. Before taking the treaties to the Dalish and the Dwarves I thought I'd do all the sidequests I could find . I'm gonna start by going back and taking down this "lil" missy.

Interesting the devs made the fight optional.

robertthebard 12-18-2009 11:50 AM

Pretty much all the High Dragon type fights are, prior to the Archdemon, of course. You don't even have to kill Flemeth to do Morrigan's quest. Really though, killing Flemeth isn't even good practice for this fight. She may look like a High Dragon, but she sure doesn't fight like one.

Blind_Prophet 12-21-2009 12:14 PM

Quick question tried the fight when i was an all level 10 party didn't have much luck how much better should i fair now that my party is all level 16?

Aelia Jusa 12-21-2009 03:35 PM

Yes I would think you could do it at that level. I think my guys were about that and it was definitely doable.

robertthebard 12-21-2009 03:35 PM

I think the dragon is lvl 19 or 20 elite boss. Guess it depends on how confident you are about your micro managing skills. I did it at like 15/16 the first time, and the first round went to the dragon, but I did win the second round, by a narrow margin. She nuked my party, and only my PC was out of range of the nuke, and Arrow of Slaying fired just as the dragon turned it's attention to me. It killed it, but it was low on health anyway, which is why I tried it.

Chewbacca 12-22-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertthebard (Post 1236657)
She nuked my party, and only my PC was out of range of the nuke, and Arrow of Slaying fired just as the dragon turned it's attention to me. It killed it, but it was low on health anyway, which is why I tried it.

LOL, Nice shot!

robertthebard 12-22-2009 10:49 AM

Lucky shot is more likely, those bosses love to resist that skill. However, the dragon's hp were just barely registering in the bar, so it's likely the damage was enough even if it failed. I didn't see the damage I did, as I was too busy panning the camera looking for a place to kite when the xp registered over my char's head.