Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   This will blow your minds!! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91631)

Dron_Cah 09-13-2004 10:48 PM

This is an actual, no-spamming thread. No, it's not about anything to do with spam, anything to do with spam, new members, or revealing personal info! It's merely a young man with a rather simple question, who is turning to the on-line community for an answer. Kinda like how most forums begin... Crazy, huh?!

Anyways, enough with the ado! I have recently started up a routine of exercises that I have been rather bad, as of late, with keeping up with. When reviewing my plans, I realized something that I was unsure of: Sit-ups. Or, crunches, rather, as they have been proven to be healthier overall. Now, I know one should tighten the abdominal muscles while doing a sit-up/crunch (have been doing them for years, after all!), but I never thought about the best way to do this. Is one supposed to "suck in" their abs, or "push out" the muscles? Just curious, I've always sucked mine in, which could be a reason I wasn't seeing much in the way of results. (Could also have been i was too young, and still growing.) Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Stormymystic 09-13-2004 11:08 PM

hmm good question, but IIRC you are supposed to "suck" them in, as that is tightening them up, pushing them out kind strecthes them I think...good luck with your work out routine [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dron_Cah 09-13-2004 11:21 PM

Ah, thank you, Stormy, on both counts! So I have been doing them right! excellent! Especially as it would be hard to push out, but I was willing to try, lol. Well, I'm tired, and now clean. So I'm gonna play some Final Fantasy! Can't let the night be a total waste! :D

Felix The Assassin 09-14-2004 01:06 AM

Yes you should breath out on the up (suck in muscle) and in on the down,(relaxing the muscle) that will put full contraction on the muscle.
If your looking for six packs, you need way more. Granted sit-ups put pressure on your back, but they pull the entire top half of the ab. Crunches only pull the top of the top half.

Add 'Rocky ups" the side to side motion to build the sides, and the mid ab. Then you must focus on the lower ab, either flutter kicks, or 'supline bicycles' to finish the look. Don't forget about the leg ups either, use the the rack, and pull 1 set straight, 1 set left, 1 set right, then repeat.

Dron_Cah 09-14-2004 03:21 PM

Ah, couldn't care less about a six pack, but thanks for the info, anyways! Just looking to tone the body, a little bit. I do do the side-to-side situps, though. Don't know if that's what you meant or not.