Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Intel "breakthrough" (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91515)

Hivetyrant 09-05-2004 09:01 AM

Have a read of This
We really are advancing fast.

Larry_OHF 09-05-2004 05:15 PM

<font color=skyblue>I wonder at what point they won't be able to take technology any further? There has to be a limit to what appears to be an ever increasing ability to make things better.

Man...I bet it'll be so cool to live 300 years from now...as they'll be looking back at us and laughing at our primitive crap. </font>

Sir Goulum 09-05-2004 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
<font color=skyblue>I wonder at what point they won't be able to take technology any further? There has to be a limit to what appears to be an ever increasing ability to make things better.

Man...I bet it'll be so cool to live 300 years from now...as they'll be looking back at us and laughing at our primitive crap. </font>

I don't think there is a limit. At least, if there is, it'd get might boring after a while of the same old stuff. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

300 years from now they'll probably look at us like cavemen. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Wysardry 09-05-2004 05:47 PM

Yeah, great. If things go on as they have been, in 30 years a CPU will be the size of a grain of sand...

...and glued on top will be a heatsink the size of a house with a jumbo jet engine as the fan. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Azeral 09-05-2004 10:16 PM

nope cpus are going to become cubes sooner or later.
They belive that they can get better speeds if the build up.
Also they were looking into fibre optics but that very hard to work with at that size. I read that intel belived that 10 gigahertz was easly reachable if they go down the fibre optics route.

Hivetyrant 09-05-2004 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wysardry:
Yeah, great. If things go on as they have been, in 30 years a CPU will be the size of a grain of sand...

...and glued on top will be a heatsink the size of a house with a jumbo jet engine as the fan. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And your water cooling kits will need to b located near the ocean.

Sir Goulum 09-05-2004 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Azeral:
Also they were looking into fibre optics but that very hard to work with at that size. I read that intel belived that 10 gigahertz was easly reachable if they go down the fibre optics route.

10 gigahertz?! Jeez, they'd better start working on that fibre optics stuff! :D

Hivetyrant 09-05-2004 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Azeral:

10 gigahertz?! Jeez, they'd better start working on that fibre optics stuff! :D </font>[/QUOTE]This is why Intel delayed production on their 64Bit CPU's, they believe that their pentuim 4 technology is able to reach 10Gigahertz safetly.

Sir Goulum 09-05-2004 10:35 PM

Hehehehehehe!

They'd better get crackin'! I want it out by 2006! ;)

Azeral 09-05-2004 10:36 PM

no they delayed the 64 bit until windows 64 bit edition is freely avaible because what is the point of having a super fast cpu with out being able to use it. they dont wanna do an amd and put 32bit handler code in the cpu.

[ 09-05-2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Azeral ]