Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Uber-chests!!! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32452)

moiraine sedai 10-18-2003 09:16 AM

I was playing my ranger party just recently (sorry folks - I'll get to chapter 4... eventually...) and when Yieran clicked on an already opened and emptied chest, the opportunity arose for him to disarm it again... So he did, and, lo and behold, another stack of loot magically appeared. This has happened to me a couple of times now, and I thought that maybe this bug could be exploited when opening chests with artifacts in them...

The problem is that it doesn't work [i]every[i/] time. But enough to boost my cash reserves :D .

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Cheers,

Moiraine Sedai

Lord 10-18-2003 11:53 AM

never had it happen to me, but it obviously seems to be a bug.

Wyvern 10-18-2003 12:17 PM

Very interesting!!

I don't recall anyone ever posting this on the board before either! I know when I'm exploring it would never occur to me to try a chest I've already looted again so this could be an exploitable bug no one discovered before. Have fun doing some more research! Maybe you'll be able to discover a pattern to the behavior!

Wyv

CerebroDragon 10-18-2003 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lord:
never had it happen to me, but it obviously seems to be a bug.
That's not necessarily true, I don't think!
Careful when disregarding the possibilities so quickly! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I mean, chests can have secret compartments can't they? :D

I also found one of these rather super fruitful chests in Castle Shurugeon or the Serpent temple, can't quite recall which. I was astounded when my Ratling Rogue (who still hasn't found a guild yet!) Slithe picklocked the chest Hillsfar-style and found after emptying it, I accidentally clicked on the inside of the chest again and got another thief picklocking operation menu. I sort of grinned wolfishly and raided the secret compartment in gleeful shock. :D
Sure, its most likely a to be a bug, but its not very often you get such a friendly bug. And so I've been double-checking (err, clicking) the insides of chests ever since. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Noble regards,
Cerebrodragon

P.S: Two jagged crystals found so far in the twisting labyrthine heights of the spire!

bsftcs 10-18-2003 01:28 PM

It has happened to me twice. Obviously not enough to find a possible common thread. I have no clue as to how to predict the occurence of this bug.

WillowIX 10-18-2003 02:23 PM

Does it happen without leaving the dungeon? Or can you just leave the room and then re-enter it 5 minutes later and it's closed? And you didn't revert the game and sanything like that? Probably a glitch in the system which resets the dungeon when it shouldn't.

Olli Kalma 10-18-2003 03:44 PM

I encountered this 'bug' last week.
I disarmed chest and looted it.
Then I clicked that chest again and disarm screen appeared again.
I didn't do anything, but it was wierd. Didn't disarm that chest again.
Mayby I sould. There was ankh on it :(

And WillowIX, that chest was open and empty when I re-clicked it...
So I didn't wait or anything and it didn't closed.
It just was opened, but re-picked...
Wierd...

[ 10-18-2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Olli Kalma ]

Lord 10-18-2003 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bsftcs:
It has happened to me twice. Obviously not enough to find a possible common thread. I have no clue as to how to predict the occurence of this bug.
I don't understand how there could be a pattern with a bug. Wouldn't it just be a random chance?

bsftcs 10-19-2003 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lord:
I don't understand how there could be a pattern with a bug. Wouldn't it just be a random chance?
Not necessarily. Some bugs are - if not entirely predictable - foreseeable in the sense that they only occur when certain prerequisites have been met.

Bungleau 10-19-2003 09:58 PM

Agreed. As a semi-professional programmer, I can tell you that bugs always happen for a reason. There is some pattern of events which allows them to occur, and if the pattern doesn't, they don't happen.

Now, sometimes the pattern can be bizarre (like having the computer fail to ground, which happened in my past), but more often than not, it's a case of a variable left unset or unchanged, or something similar.