Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   GameStop Manager refuses to sell games to kids with bad grades (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97911)

Trogdor 09-21-2007 07:45 PM

GameStop Manager refuses to sell games to kids with bad grades

lol!

Quote:

A GameStop manager in Dallas has been suspended for refusing to sell videogames to schoolkids with poor grades.

"He needs to be reading a book. He knows how to play Madden before he knows how to do his ABCs and 123s - that's backwards," said store manager Brandon Scott, who imposed a policy of refusing to sell games to school-aged children unless an adult would confirm the child's good grades. As a result, he has so far refused about two dozen game sales, he said, although most of them had returned with proof of good grades to make their purchase.

While many local parents applauded the move, GameStop has suspended Scott following reports of his actions. In a statement, the company said it is "learning about and evaluating Mr. Scott's concept. As always, GameStop maintains its corporate commitment to assisting parents and other consumers in making informed choices." Scott himself said he wasn't certain whether the suspension was the result of his policy, which he first implemented earlier this summer, or because he spoke to the media about it.

Along with his grades policy, Scott maintained other self-imposed rules of conduct in his store. "They know when they come in here, they do not curse, they do not use the N-word, pull your clothes up," he said. He also said he'd buy a brand new game for any student who showed him a straight-A report card with a teacher's signature and a parent present.

The suspension has not lessened Scott's commitment to "making a difference," he said. "I wouldn't say rebel, but I can be rebellious. I can fight for what I believe in."

Kyrvias 09-22-2007 12:55 PM

Re: GameStop Manager refuses to sell games to kids with bad grades

Wow. I say kudos to him. People like that can really make a difference. Now, if only their were more of him...

johnny 09-22-2007 02:00 PM

What an idiot, his job is to make money, what the hell does it matter if a kid is doing fine in school or not? If i were the owner of that store, i'd fire him instantly and sue him for every game that he didn't sell because of his idiotic behaviour. If he wants to educate teenagers, he should get a teachingjob, as long as he's a salesmanager, it's his job to make money by all means necessary. Taking the moral highground doesn't put food on the table, and in the end, that's all that matters.

ZFR 09-22-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny (Post 1190094)
What an idiot, his job is to make money, what the hell does it matter if a kid is doing fine in school or not? If i were the owner of that store, i'd fire him instantly and sue him for every game that he didn't sell because of his idiotic behaviour. If he wants to educate teenagers, he should get a teachingjob, as long as he's a salesmanager, it's his job to make money by all means necessary. Taking the moral highground doesn't put food on the table, and in the end, that's all that matters.

Precisely. It wasn't his own money that he was giving away.
He was hired to sell games. If you open your own store you can sell or refuse to sell to whomever you want. Otherwise either change your job or do what you've been hired to do.

Kakero 09-23-2007 03:57 AM

He was only suspended, lucky him. If I was his boss I would have fired him.

IronDragon 09-23-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny (Post 1190094)

If you have to ask the question…you won’t understand the answer

Kyrvias 09-23-2007 07:56 PM

Why are you both so fast to condemn the poor man? He was doing what he thinks was right, and I applaud him. Moreso, Ironworks is supposed to be boycotting Gamestop (Or so I've heard), if Gamestop loses money, and a man is doing the right thing, what does it matter to you?

Sazerac 09-23-2007 08:37 PM

While I agree with the motivations prompting this manager's policy decision, I do think he overstepped his boundaries in refusal to sell games, since that is in essence what the company is in business to do. At the very least, he should have cleared the policy decision with his boss before he implemented it.

Perhaps a policy more in line with his decision to buy a game for any kid who brought in an A+ report card would have been in better order; at least, not in violation of any corporate policy. He could have also come up with other incentives, such as discounts for good grades, verified by a report card.

I appreciate and applaud his efforts on maintaining good conduct within his store. I also appreciate his concern for the kids' educational welfare. A less zealous approach that would not compromise the store's sales would be much better. I hope he does not lose his job, and does find a more suitable way to promote good grades for kids without sacrificing sales.

Kyrvias 09-23-2007 08:40 PM

I think Sazerac said it best. By far. :D

Yes indeedy.

johnny 09-24-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyrvias (Post 1190208)
Why are you both so fast to condemn the poor man? He was doing what he thinks was right, and I applaud him. Moreso, Ironworks is supposed to be boycotting Gamestop (Or so I've heard), if Gamestop loses money, and a man is doing the right thing, what does it matter to you?

It doesn't matter to me, it would if i were the store owner, and from that perspective i responded. If you hire a salesmanager, the least you can expect from him is to make you more money, not less because the guy has some moral issues. Again...the guy should apply for a teachingjob, he's obviously in the wrong business.

Nightbird 09-24-2007 07:28 AM

What scares me is this guy is passing on moral code for people to shop there. What makes him the moral leader? People like this are dangerous.

Luvian 09-24-2007 08:48 AM

Yeah, the last thing we want it to make kids think of their education before their entertainment. A real villain, this guy.

johnny 09-24-2007 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvian (Post 1190247)
Yeah, the last thing we want it to make kids think of their education before their entertainment. A real villain, this guy.

I hear you, but it's not a salesmanager's job to make the kids aware of that, at least not when it hampers the income of the store he's supposed to make profitable. It's a nice thought of the guy, i'll give you that, but methinks he has an obligation to the man who's responsible for his monthly paycheck. It's first and foremost the parents who should make their kids aware of their priorities in life, and schoolteachers come in second. Salesmanagers fall in a different categorie.

Nightbird 09-25-2007 07:24 AM

He is also telling them what they can say and how they should dress. The world would be a scary place if we all talked and looked the same.

SpiritWarrior 09-25-2007 09:49 AM

It's a form of discrimination, regardless of whether we view it as good or bad.

Illumina Drathiran'ar 09-25-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvian (Post 1190247)

For the most part, I had absolutely terrible grades until I got to college. No wonder kids are playing video games- am I the only one who remembers what an absolutely phenomenal waste of time school was? Or was it just Catholic school that was like that?

I'm too busy imagining what that would be like if we applied this to an older age...

"No, you can't have a beer until I see your GRE scores. And don't even think about ordering a shot until I see a writing sample."

SpiritWarrior 09-25-2007 12:13 PM

No, i'm the same. I jumped school alot, simply because I found it boring as hell. I was off doing my own thing, which didn't have to mean I was getting high simply because I choose not to go to school - whatever interested me. I use very little of the core subjects that I spent years "learning", and can get into any college I want as it is. So yeah, I personally would agree that it was an incredible waste of time for me. I could have been focusing on my own chosen fields of education and pursued it myself, rather than inside a class that was filled with disruptions, and channelled through teachers that were so jaded with their job that a robot would have done better.

ZFR 09-25-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightbird (Post 1190324)
He is also telling them what they can say and how they should dress. The world would be a scary place if we all talked and looked the same.

Well people like you are telling him how to act and what not do. How's that?

You say it would be boring if we all talked same, and yet you yourself want everyone to follow your thinking. And if somone, like this man, dares to think differently you call him dangerous. You thought of that?

robertthebard 09-25-2007 02:26 PM

So where do we draw the line for appropriate behavior? While I can appreciate what this guy is trying to do, it's not his job to parent my kids. That's my job, and their grades are between my child, my child's school, and myself. I didn't have a problem telling my child she couldn't play games if she had homework to do. This is the limiter, for me. I don't need outside influences on my parenting, when it was an issue.

However, just as a for instance, say we let this guy have his way. What's next? Will the mall be the next one to say, "Hey, you're not dressed to our standards, you can't come in". Maybe the grocery store? While this may seem harmless, it sets a precedent for it to continue, and some standards may be higher than others. What happens when the grocer refuses to sell you groceries because your hair is too long, or too short?

It's funny too, as I sit here typing, reading the flashy sig of ZFR. Freedom, prosperity, and creativity, so long as you do it how I say?

ZFR 09-25-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertthebard (Post 1190352)
However, just as a for instance, say we let this guy have his way. What's next? Will the mall be the next one to say, "Hey, you're not dressed to our standards, you can't come in". Maybe the grocery store? While this may seem harmless, it sets a precedent for it to continue, and some standards may be higher than others. What happens when the grocer refuses to sell you groceries because your hair is too long, or too short?

huh? If, it's my own store and I can set whatever standards I want in it. Just like you can admit/refuse to admit whomever you want into your house. There are already restaurants with a specific dress code by the way. Would you like to be the owner of one of these and being forced to admit any riff-raff who want to come in?

robertthebard 09-25-2007 03:33 PM

If you're going to a black tie restaraunt, you wear appropriate clothes. If you're going to the mall, you wear appropriate clothes. However, the guy doesn't own the store, otherwise he couldn't have been suspended. It's kinda important to remember that without customers, capitalism means next to nothing.

ZFR 09-25-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertthebard (Post 1190364)
However, the guy doesn't own the store, otherwise he couldn't have been suspended.

Read my first post in this thread. That's exactly what I wrote. Since the store isn't his he should do what the store owner tells him to.

But if you open your own store, what you do in it is your own business. It could definately be stupid to refuse to sell customers but if it is so, he'll be only hurting himself.

Iron Greasel 09-26-2007 05:35 PM

I find it a very good thing that someone chooses to do something not for personal gain, but because he thinks it is right. Blindly following orders and doing thing you think are wrong because someone tells you to are not exactly the marks of the perfect utopian society where everyone is happy. Moral superiority does not bring food on the table, but then again, organized crime does, and most social philosophers have been against that.

Nightbird 09-26-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZFR (Post 1190350)
Well people like you are telling him how to act and what not do. How's that?

You say it would be boring if we all talked same, and yet you yourself want everyone to follow your thinking. And if somone, like this man, dares to think differently you call him dangerous. You thought of that?

Not true, I never said what he should do, and I never said I want him to be like me. The reason this board is enjoyable is we all have different opinions. I just said people like him scare me because he is in a sales job and he is holding his product hostage unless the kids do what he says. If he wants to pass on moral code go right ahead but get a job that puts it in the open.