Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   HD or CPU? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74445)

Bahamut 04-22-2002 02:27 AM

well I am debating now with myself this... should I buy a HD so I can store more stuff, MP3s, games whatever, or should I just stick with my old 4.1 Gig drive and settle in for a new (amd more expensive) new Processor (maybe an Athlon 900)? Everthing will be of course fast, but then no space still for another game say.. Dungeon Siege and NWN or even my own crap once I learn how to draw in the PC... but then I would love to have a new processor.. help? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dreamer128 04-22-2002 02:43 AM

Depends. I don't have a problem with uninstalling some old games when I buy some new stuff. But I know people who want to store *everything*. It also depends on your vid-card. Its no use having a fast processor if you're stuck with a crappy video card.

Bahamut 04-22-2002 03:00 AM

I got a GeForce 2 mx 200 64 Megs... I don't want to store everything, but enough to have a fully installed game would be okay with me... I mean I have changed CD-Roms lots of times due to overload... I don't want that anymore...

Bruce The Aussie 04-22-2002 03:22 AM

how much RAM have you got? because if its 128 or less then the new proccessor probably wont work to its full extent.

Scholarcs 04-22-2002 05:45 AM

Well if you get a new processer you will get the best out of your Gforce 2, which you're probably not getting at the moment.

But if you like downloading lots of stuff then you could expand your hardrive.

I hope you use winzip at the moment.

and if you still have the cd, i would be inclined to uninstall any old games, programs etc. you no longer use.

andrewas 04-22-2002 06:05 AM

Personaly id go for the hard drive, i am stuck with a 9 gig drive myself. Its just not enough, not with the amount of games and add-ons i have ended up collecting.

Im using a 450 mhz CPU, with a voodoo banshee card, and it works fine on just about all games. (I can run Quake III acceptably, anything on the infinity engine works great, I meet the specs for NWN, what more do you need), but if you have something below 300 then you might want to upgrade the CPU instead. One thing you might want to watch out for is needing a new motherboard - unless you have an athlon already youll definatly need one. You might need one even if you do if its a real early board. If its Slot A for example. I think even the early socket As are good up to 1.1Ghz.

Bahamut 04-22-2002 10:37 AM

Well here are my specs

500 AMD k-6 2 Processor
128 RAM (Adding more whatever happens, another 128= 256)
GeForce 2 MMx 200 64MB
HD 4.1 GB

Well, I have all CDs... I don't lose em.. besides you need them for most games :(

Everything works fine.. all in good shape... if it's slow then because of the processor... or even the HD since it is old.. maybe it isn't as fast accessing info as the newer ones...

I do indeed a new motherboard that's why buying a new processor rather than a HD would be more expensive... anymore ideas? As for now I don't know but I am more inclined to buy a new CPU.. crap

Wurm 04-22-2002 10:54 AM

Ok just some stuff..(Im sure you know this already)

To upgrade your CPU..you will need a new motherboard also.

Socket 7 is way dead and buried...

Right now a inexpensive mobo and CPU together will run you around 200 bucks (MSI mobo / Duron 1.0Ghz CPU) Then you'll want more RAM and your older RAM may not be compatible with your new mobo. :( also the upgrade may involve you buying a new case or power supply depending if your old case is already ATX and how strong the power supply (350w or better now a days is needed) is in your old case.

In your case, I would get a new 7200rpm 40+ gig ATA 100 or 133 HD and then save up money to upgrade/ buy a new PC alltogether at once. That way your HD will be the center point in your new system and the rest of your older system you can donate/sell to someone else.

Also if you go the HD route remember to take your old HD out..its probably a 3200 or 5500rpm ATA 33 or 66 HD and it will only slow your new HD down. Just put it off to the side so when your ready to upgrade to a faster PC you can stick it back in the old one to enable yourself to sell it.

If you have any hardware questions click on my Sig to visit a Hardware/Software site or PM me [img]smile.gif[/img] I do this for a living and would be more than willing to help a fellow IWG member out.

[ 04-22-2002, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Wurm ]

andrewas 04-22-2002 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wurm:

Also if you go the HD route remember to take your old HD out..its probably a 3200 or 5500rpm ATA 33 or 66 HD and it will only slow your new HD down. Just put it off to the side so when your ready to upgrade to a faster PC you can stick it back in the old one to enable yourself to sell it.

Not if you stick them on different channels. Stick it on the secondary channel alongside the CD-ROM and you have a nice place to keep backups and CD-images to burn on to the CD-R on the primary channel. Thats if you have a CD-R.

Wurm 04-22-2002 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by andrewas:
Not if you stick them on different channels. Stick it on the secondary channel alongside the CD-ROM and you have a nice place to keep backups and CD-images to burn on to the CD-R on the primary channel. Thats if you have a CD-R.
It will still slow the computer down even on IDE2..but your right in the case of a K6-2..it wont matter that much.