Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What Are the Signs that PC,Vid Card may be Running Hot? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91857)

Albromor 10-07-2004 10:20 PM

Can anyone list for me signs that one's PC or Video card is running hot? What should I look for? Thanks.

Ziroc 10-07-2004 10:23 PM

Locking up where you have to do a hard boot, high ascii blinking on your screen (DOS looking graphics) and stuff like that (For Video Cards). Check to see if the Video card fan and PC fans are clean. 50% of PC and Video failures are from dust and overheating.

Bozos of Bones 10-07-2004 10:25 PM

Also, if you have Omega Drivers for an ATi card, the temp meter should stsrt blinking at 90% crit, and then shtu-down and revert to on-board on 95%. I think. Never really tried to burn a vid card, lol. Processors fried: 3, Video cards: 0.

Hivetyrant 10-07-2004 11:08 PM

Well you could open your cse and move your hand near the card.
Usually your computer will automatically shut down if it overheats, but if it is just a card then, as Ziroc said, just clean your PC.

T-D-C 10-08-2004 12:08 AM

Open PC,

Get your self an Egg, Crack the eg and put it on the video card. If it cooks then your video card is running hot.

If it doens't cook then you have just ruined a video card and you can get a new one LOL.

:D

Hivetyrant 10-08-2004 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by T-D-C:
Open PC,

Get your self an Egg, Crack the eg and put it on the video card. If it cooks then your video card is running hot.

If it doens't cook then you have just ruined a video card and you can get a new one LOL.

What a great way to make breakfast :D

T-D-C 10-08-2004 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by T-D-C:
Open PC,

What a great way to make breakfast :D </font>[/QUOTE]And if you have a fan on your card when you pour the egg on there it could whip you up an omlette!

Donut 10-08-2004 11:18 AM

Let me see!! What is my PC doing at the moment. Mmmmm! Balack and white vertical stripes. Lovely blocks of patterns on the screen. And it turns itself off from time to time.

I'm guessing my video card is too hot because if I turn it off for an hour it's okay for a while.

Hivetyrant 10-08-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Donut:
Let me see!! What is my PC doing at the moment. Mmmmm! Balack and white vertical stripes. Lovely blocks of patterns on the screen. And it turns itself off from time to time.

I'm guessing my video card is too hot because if I turn it off for an hour it's okay for a while.

Well that would make sense, but you should make sure before you take any course of action.

Hey T-D-C, I wonder if you could make Orange juice from oranges with your fan??? :D

Bozos of Bones 10-08-2004 11:22 AM

I think you'll soon start to see artefacts. Better invest some 15$ to buy an AGP card cooler before it's too late and you have to scrap the card.