Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Quest help of all sorts? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16232)

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-24-2005 09:00 PM

I thought it would be a good title so I can post any question in the same thread.

LORD JIERDAN'S QUEST

The shadows in the room which I think has a key (just past the vampires) are giving me a lot of trouble. I could use some combat advice. Main Char Lvl:9

untouchable 01-24-2005 09:41 PM

A note: This is Variol's FIRST run throught SOA, at least it seems so from his post on the TOB forum, so let's try and minimize the spoilers.

Shadow's require enchanted weaponds to hit. Some shadows can also drain stregth with each hit, this causes you to be less accurate and deal less damage.
There are many Undead specific weaponds in the game, some of those will help. Many spells will have more effect against Undead as well.
Remember that using haste gives you a extra attack per round, this can be a life saver in the early game.
Summoned monsters can also be a great help.

For more specific advise post who you have in you're party and what lvl they are as well.

Happy gaming.

shamrock_uk 01-24-2005 11:36 PM

Druid/Priest spells like Negative Plane Protection will help you here. (Lesser) Restoration will restore your strength.

Summoned (ideally hasted!) skeleton warriors will clean up for you...
If you made it past the vampires (a real challenge for a low level party) the same tactics should cut through mere shadows like a hot knife through butter.

[ 01-24-2005, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]

Dace De'Briago 01-24-2005 11:44 PM

Protection from Undead scroll gives you free experience with these guys [img]smile.gif[/img]

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-25-2005 06:17 AM

With the vamps I cast entangle and 3 fireballs at long range. that won't work with shadows. I'll try the protection and haste stuff. There's just so many of them.

Illumina Drathiran'ar 01-25-2005 11:20 AM

Have you the means to cast either Sunray or False Dawn?

Magness 01-25-2005 11:44 AM

Variol, what's your party look like? Who's in it and what are their levels?

Do you have a Cleric in the party, to Turn Undead?

Combat Tip: Try to not to bring the entire party into the room. Use the doorway as a choke point, to limit the number of shadows that can attack you at any one time.

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-25-2005 08:58 PM

Well, it was only one shadow. I'm sure the first time there were more red circles. Anyway, I put a fire elemental at the doorway and threw a few fireballs in there. I have a half-orc cleric of lathandir.

Balintherlas 01-26-2005 12:18 AM

buff your best fighter with negative plane protection and let him do most of the work. I dont think the shadows do much regular damage anyway.

[ 01-26-2005, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Balintherlas ]

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 01-26-2005 06:38 AM

I'm just going around now and collecting the pieces of the helmet thing. How many are there anyway?