Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Beserker / Cleric (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57124)

Bahra 09-26-2001 04:10 PM

Well i have been lost in D2 world for almost 2 yrs now, And i just pulled this game off the shelf. I've gone through a few forums and this ones seem to be the best thus far.

OK so anyways heres my story; I am doing what i almost never do in a game but alas i may not stay long enough to play other wise.I'm looking for a jump start I have no intrest in EverCrack and it will be awhile til Dungeon Siege is out.

So from what i have read so far I like the sound of the Beserker/Cleric
Not sure i assume human? Not sure where to allocate points on weapons.
I understand stat placement..Was thinking like 2 in Sword/shield 2 in Short sword.. anyways i tried a search here with mixed results. I'm basically looking for help in the creation of this char type AtoZ. Yes i have done a search here on this char type and they all begin at stat placement.

In any event whether i get help or flamed i do like this forum.

BTW as you can see this is my very 1st post here.Hello all and er eh go gentle on me..http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...miles/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Bahra (edited 09-26-2001).]

hagimihale 09-26-2001 04:51 PM

From what I understand, you cannot use any bladed weapons with a cleric. I would have proficiencies in Mace, Hammer and/or Flail (for Mace of Disruption, Croem Fayr and Flail of Ages). I would also do sword and shield style. If you HAD to have a ranged attack with this character I'd put 1pt in sling... but there are so many NPC's with ranged attacks that you can probably get by without it.

And (correct me if I'm wrong, everyone) you cannot DUAL CLASS with any kits... so you'll have to be a multiclass, which means you cannot be human. 1/2 Orc may be your best bet, so you can have 19 STR and CON. This will make you slower to achieve new levels, something to think about.

Desuma_Malevois 09-26-2001 05:01 PM

First, welcome to the board!

Berserker dualled to cleric is a good combo to try, although I'm sure that many will chime in here and say that "No, the Kensai/Mage rocks" or "the Monk rules" or "the left-handed, red headed ranger dualled to buttkicker is the best". Oh well. you get the idea.

Anyway, you need to make him/her human with a minimum STR of 15 and WIS of 17, although the higher you can make STR, CON, and DEX the better off you'll be in combat. You will be limited to blunt weapons (clubs, maces, hammers, staves, morningstars, flails, and slings) so don't assign any of your initial proficiencies to anything else - you'll just waste them. Likewise I wouldn't waste any proficiencies in sword and shield style - you won't be facing missile weapons that much. My preference would be to start with five stars in flail and one star in two weapon wielding. Dual class your character immediately and take a star in mace, a star in sling and a star in hammer. When the cleric level surpasses the berserker's take another star in dual wielding. This is for reasons that I will detail below, but right now let me just say that with the right stats, your character will become a threshing machine of destruction. In addition, make sure you add another star of two weapon wielding ASAP.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Pick flail so that you can use the Flail of Ages, available in the d'Arnise Hold adventure quite early in the game. Pick mace so that you can be proficient with a weapon available early in the first dungeon, where you start out with no equipment. Pick hammer later so that you can use the Crom Faeyr, which is available much later in the game.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Desuma_Malevois (edited 09-26-2001).]

Bahra 09-26-2001 05:26 PM

wow !! Quick response and just what i was looking for..Thanks guys..
Mike- Right on the nose buddy.. Now the fun part.. roll roll roll so far i have an 88 saved i may just run with that score..seems high enough..
18 str
17 dex
16 con
17 wis
10 int
10 chsm

Tancred 09-26-2001 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bahra:
wow !! Quick response and just what i was looking for..Thanks guys..
Mike- Right on the nose buddy.. Now the fun part.. roll roll roll so far i have an 88 saved i may just run with that score..seems high enough..
18 str
17 dex
16 con
17 wis
10 int
10 chsm

Mother of god! Not a bad character at all, that.

Welcome to the board, btw.

Rikard 09-26-2001 05:44 PM

if i might add to your stats
lower charisma by 2
add one to wisdom and one to dex
thus you have one more bonus spell and +1 to AC
charisma is not that important

------------------
http://potgrond.netfirms.com/Eyes.jpg
I'm Watching you...

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...miles/hero.gif

Desuma_Malevois 09-26-2001 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rikard:
if i might add to your stats
lower charisma by 2
add one to wisdom and one to dex
thus you have one more bonus spell and +1 to AC
charisma is not that important

For that matter, lower your CHA even more and boost your CON up to 18 also.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

There is an item available in the circus tent after you exit the first dungeon that will boost your CHA to 18.

Mike

Desuma_Malevois 09-26-2001 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hagimihale:
And (correct me if I'm wrong, everyone) you cannot DUAL CLASS with any kits... so you'll have to be a multiclass, which means you cannot be human. 1/2 Orc may be your best bet, so you can have 19 STR and CON. This will make you slower to achieve new levels, something to think about.
You can dual class FROM a kit, but not TO a kit, as long as you're human. No multiclass may have a kit, except for gnomish illusionist/whatevers.

Mike

deathknight 09-26-2001 06:49 PM

Definatly max WIS,CON and Dex!
Also if you are going to dual class and you are going to dual wield I think you would be wise to put 3 points into 2 weapon style. the thaco0 penalties of dual wielding will eventually be rough when you are no longer advancing your berserker levels. I agree that flail is the best choice to start with. Hammer is a great 2nd choice (you can dual wield 2 of the best weapons a cleric can wield with that combo).

I made the same decision as you just recently. I was going to go with a berserker dualed to a cleric then I fell in love with the ranger/cleric. I gave up the cool berserk ability (and I cannot put more than 2 points into a weapon) but in return I can cast any druid spell in addition to the cleric spells http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...miles/wink.gif
also rangers start with 2 points 2 weapon style.

Oh I would recommend you stear clear of sword and shield style. No need to waste points in defense against missile weapons when you can put points into weapons you want to use.

And as you probably gathered from the rest of the posts hagimihale had it backwards. Only humans can dual class and you can only use a kit by dual classing (no mutliclassing with kits) so you will have to go human to make your berserker cleric.

ScottG 09-26-2001 06:51 PM

Search for my post:

The Best BG2 player character

It explains just about everything your looking for + it offers a better char. than the Berzerker/Cleric on the 2nd page.