Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to kill Davaeorn (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3103)

capster 03-11-2003 08:29 PM

I have tried several times and he keeps killing me.I have a ranger,thief,druid-fighter,fighter,and two clerics.I think my lack of a magic user may be the problem.Any help or cheats would help.Thank you.

Taran 03-11-2003 08:51 PM

your joking right,
not to be mean but your party wouldnt be my first choice, or second, or third and so on.

you only need one cleric one fighter maybe two mages a ranger is good and a thief

i would recomend starting over, or go get edwin hes pretty good

TheCrimsomBlade 03-11-2003 09:25 PM

Yes go get Edwin at the bridge heading west in the southern part of Nashkel and dump one of the Clerics then get some potions of explosion and have Edwin buy as many high level spells as you can afford from the Mage At High Hedge just west of Beregost. Have Edwin learn and enter them in his mage book then everyone sleep so that the spells become memorized and active, then go kill Davaeorn and his lackies.

Pirengle 03-11-2003 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by capster:
I have tried several times and he keeps killing me.I have a ranger,thief,druid-fighter,fighter,and two clerics.I think my lack of a magic user may be the problem.Any help or cheats would help.Thank you.
Hi Capster, welcome to Ironworks! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

Some more stats on your existing party would be nice. What levels are your party members? What gear do they have? (Sounds to me like you have Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Branwen, and probably Viconia in your party.)

Many people are suggesting to take Edwin and dump a cleric. You've already bypassed two other mages (Xzar and Xan), so he looks like your best bet. Get him some spells, rest to memorize them, and come back to Davaeron.

Dispel magic is your friend. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Davaeron has a horrible habit of Dimension Door-ing everywhere. Send out one character with low AC and high hitpoints (probably Khalid) to act as bait. Sooner or later, Davaeron's going to stop teleporting from place to place, stand still, and start tossing spells.

He might Dire Charm a couple party members. If that happens, you can try casting Hold on the Dire Charmed party member, or even Charm to get him/her back over to your side.

Make sure Imoen checks for traps. There are a couple nasty ones down there that could kill or even chunk a party member.

But try not to cheat. The fun of BG1 comes from solving puzzles and winning battles using the gear you earned and the gray matter between your ears.

InsaneBane 03-12-2003 03:54 AM

I killed Mr. D. like this:

I had two good fighters (Minsc and myself (a paladin)) hunting him down. Whenever we closed in on the mage he would cast dimensional door to escape. But after some jumping around I guess he ran out of dimensional door spells. Minsc was very close to him then and charged him and 2 hits after, Mr. D. was dead. He did not even had the time to release any spells.

Maybe I was lucky or maybe it is just as simple as this to whack Mr. D. I do not know.

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane

Rothrorn 03-12-2003 05:17 AM

It took me a few attempts to kill him as well. In the end I summoned some monsters (cheese alert!!) to chase him while he was dimension dooring all over the place and used my mages to to shoot magic missiles at him whenever he looked like casting. In the end he ran out dimension doors?! and I nailed him with monsters and Kivan. I guess you cando it without mages but it will be pretty tough.

InsaneBane 03-12-2003 06:05 AM

Oh - I almost forgot the cheasy part: Minsc wore 'boots of speed'. Thats why (I guess), Mr. D. didn't have the time to send a fire ball in Minsc's direction [img]smile.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane

Dude 77 03-12-2003 09:36 AM

get your fighters and tanks into the fron so hes attacking them and get the cleric and healers healing maybe throw in a few monster sommonings shake well and waa-laa Dead Daeveron Souflay

Dundee Slaytern 03-12-2003 10:04 AM

I swarmed him with skeletons( from my Cleric) and beat the crap out of him. He couldn't cast a single thing due to constant spell casting failure. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Magic Missiles took care of his Mirror Images.

Wumpspawner 03-12-2003 10:13 AM

I can't imagine going through the game without a mage... But if you can do it, I say do it. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. I just set everyone up with missile weapons, had my PC thief disarm the traps in the main entry to the room, hasted my whole party, and charged in. That fellow never had time to throw any spells off. Every time he appeared, he started getting hailed by arrows, stones, and bolts. That kinda makes it hard for a mage to concentrate enough to get that fireball off. You might be able to do it without the haste spell, but by the looks of your party you got too many slingers and not enough archers. But trying it can't hurt. Maybe open up with a backstab before the rush, soften him up a bit. After all, he's only a mage. They die easy. Just keep the pressure on him.