Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cleaning TFT monitors (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97328)

Jorath Calar 04-27-2007 03:08 PM

This may seem weird but is it okey to use wipes for glasses, you know the one with alcohol (easy johnny) in them to clean a tft monitor, I have always been afraid to clean my monitor with anything remotely damp and no cleaning products since my friends mom cleaned her screen with a windowcleaner and it melted... freaky sight. I'm know the glasswipes are not nearly as strong as the windowcleaner but I really don't know how sensitive the screen is... but it's getting very messy and I would very much like to give it a spring cleaning... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jaradu 04-27-2007 03:56 PM

You definitely shouldn't use products for cleaning windows. While they might work for CRT monitors, we're dealing with plastics here, not glass. The large traces of ammonia and alcohol in window cleaning products can degrade the plastic of the TFT monitor.

The recommended method would be to ever so slightly dampen a microfiber cloth (be careful as TFT monitors like to absorb liquid, which can ruin the entire display). Wipe with the cloth in a consistent horizontal/vertical direction. Don't apply too much pressure, as that can kill pixels. Then use a dry cloth to remove any trace of moisture. Oh and make sure the monitor is off when you're doing this. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hope that helps.

Jorath Calar 04-27-2007 04:05 PM

Thanks

no windowcleaner is coming near my screen... my friend said her screen looked like it was melting when her mom cleaned it, it was on and all and she said it would have been very cool if it hadn't been her screen... [img]smile.gif[/img]

toot033 04-27-2007 06:30 PM

My wife had good succes with a "wet one" to get teh magic marker that my daughter decided to use on my lcd. She thought that Mickey Mouses ears were not dark enough..... We did not have any issues after that BUT she was VERY gentle when she did it ( and my daughter who is 8 now still knows not to touch the screen.)

Felix The Assassin 04-27-2007 09:18 PM

<font color=8fbc8f>If you still have the owners booklet check it first. Do not use the glasses wipes, they might be too strong a solution as well.
'A way' to clean a TFT requires three special items and one household item. 1. Micro fiber cloth. 2. Distilled water 3. Spritzer bottle 4. Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

Mix the alcohol and distilled water (please do not use tap or bottled drinking water (mineral deposits)) at a 50-50 ratio. Place mix into spritzer bottle. Spray a very fine mist onto the cloth (the bigger the cloth/area the better). Wipe gently across the screen, taking care not to press fingers too deeply into the cloth, this will cause streaks, and friction on the display. Gentle is the key here. Three gentle passes is better than one 'man-handled' pass.

I'm sure you are well enough aware not to use anything course or fibrous on the display.

Be gentle. </font>

ZFR 05-02-2007 09:27 AM

There are those products made specially to clean tft monitors. Have you tried one of those?