Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   what is life exactly? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91879)

burnzey boi 10-10-2004 08:49 AM

have you ever had one weird experience where how it all started? ever wondered y we are the most inteligent creatures on earth? if you have something post it! i need it for my year 8 science homework and i need your help. it can be anything whacky or crazy but i need it before next tuesday.
Your thnx
burnz

Bozos of Bones 10-10-2004 08:57 AM

In my deeply intelligent and deeply drunk friend's words: "Life is.. life. Get it?"
My point of view is purely scientistic. Evolution, mr. Anderson... A chain of events that led to us being the most advanced form of life on the planet.

Hivetyrant 10-10-2004 08:59 AM

I was actually talking about this today with my dad, this is a very tricky subject, but I think you need to expand on your question. All I can say so far is Yes I have wondered.

Do you want to know what I think? How complex should I answer? Becuase I have alot of views on this subject.

burnzey boi 10-10-2004 09:07 AM

YES! go wild on the subject it dosn't matter what it could be! my example: aliens came down to earth and mated with humans making them increadibly smart. complex or stupid either way i would get marks and this would turn out to be a very weird convo but hell it'll be funny:)
like i said, go wild!

daan 10-10-2004 09:18 AM

We're life's energizer bunny. We're the fuel that lasts and reproduces in such quantities that we'll keep lasting.

Imagine that there was 'nothing' in the beginning. If there's nothing, dimensions such as latitude, height and even time are meaningless and impossible to seperate from eachother. Nothing chances, nothing's distinguishable ( ehr,.. is that a word ? ). In other words: time etc. doesnt exist.
However, as soon as you put a point into that whole lot of 'nothing', suddenly all sorts of dimensions spring to life. We've got a starting point from which to measure distance, height .. change introduces the passing of time.

But the only way to have all that, is for someone to observe there -is- something. As the quantum-theory has already proven that 'measuring' or 'seeing' something defines its state ( Schrodinger's cat -experiment ), you could say we are the things that keep life alive. We define the world around us, our consciousness shapes the world and allowes for dimensions.

So either life is the universe's fuel, or I'm just being very egocentric in thinking that everything evolves around us [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Either way, it makes for an original story.

Sigmar 10-10-2004 04:53 PM

...it's an anticlimax.

:D

We're random genetic offshoots like the ants you see milling around on the ground minding their own buisness, the only significant difference between us and them is that we ask "why?".

[ 10-10-2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]

Dron_Cah 10-10-2004 04:58 PM

Yes, I had wondered. Then I found this cool thing called the "Book of Genesis." I'm not going to say anything else, as there is still the moratorium on religous discussions. (and probably always will be, lol.) ;)
Anyways, that pretty much covers my answer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Illumina Drathiran'ar 10-10-2004 05:04 PM

Forty-two.

Bozos of Bones 10-10-2004 05:07 PM

I see someone's done her reading [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sigmar 10-10-2004 05:09 PM

*reads Illumina Drathiran'ar's post*

*starts methodically loading shotgun*

...I'm sure I've heard that particular quote more than 42 times in my life.

:D ;)