Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help please - tech help possibly! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16765)

snake_fairy 10-05-2005 12:29 AM

Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I am in the second chapter and have just recused Aerie and was wandering around exploring when I went to an Inn to rest and the game would not let me. I then tried to save and it said that I could Not Save During Combt!
Now, I am not in comabt that I know off.....I have walking around the area and no one is attacting. The only way the gane will save is if I leave an area, which is a big pain in the a**.

Anyone have any ideas????

Thanks.

Ps: I tried to install the patch and it keeps saying that it cannot find the file when I've saved it and tries to get the "Install Wizard" to run it. Maybe I'm dense today who knows!!!!

Thanks Again!!!

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Cam_H 10-05-2005 01:40 AM

Snake Fairy,

I've not had this problem myself, I'm not a technical person, and I'm not exactly sure what might have caused this problem ... however ...

When installing the game - did you install to the default directory?;
C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\

If not - the patch (Shadows of Amn patch and Throne of Bhaal patch) may struggle to find the files.

By the way - once you've installed the correct official patch, it's highly recommended that you also install the appropriate Baldurdash fixpack that corrects a string of minor bugs not addressed in the official patches.

I assume that you've not installed any other mods on top of your (unpatched) game.

My inclination would be to copy your last save to another folder on your hard drive, and uninstall-reinstall again, and have another go at installing the official patch (and Baldurdash). Return the saved game back into the appropriate folder, and reload. The game that you're playing may fix itself automatically with the reinstallation, but you may need to brace yourself for the possibility of starting a brand new game.

snake_fairy 10-05-2005 09:25 PM

Thanks. Thats what I thought, just hate the idead of having to start over;)
I will try out your idea!!!!

Thanks,

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Cam_H 10-05-2005 10:15 PM

I vaguely recall that even uninstalling the game won't delete your saved game files, but I would still recommend a back-up of the saved game folder somewhere else on your 'puter.

If your old game doesn't seem to work as intended after the re-installation of BG2+patch+Baldurdash, and you do wish to start a brand new 'replacement' game, you could also consider installing the 'Dungeon be Gone' mod for a 'rocket-boost' out of the starting dungeon, which will mean at least you won't have to go through that part again. Hopefully you're not too deep into Chapter 2.