Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sorceror Query (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14676)

drew_jarvie 01-05-2004 05:04 PM

When you go into your spell list, you see the icons of your spells and the number beside it of the number of them you have left. In my example I have magic missile and chromatic orb as two of them. Now, when I use a magic missile, not only does that charge drop but the number also goes down on the amount of chromatic orbs I have left. Is this meant to happen (maybe it has something to do with spells on the same level)? This my first time playing sorceror and I would appreciate some help [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Lord 01-05-2004 05:07 PM

Yes, that's supposed to happen. In fact, that's the point of a sorceror. He/she has a limited amount of spells, but can cast any one of them till they run out of spells for that level. So say you can cast 5 level 1 spells, and you cast 2 magic missiles. Then you will be able to cast just 3 more level 1 spells, which includes all of your level 1 spells

drew_jarvie 01-05-2004 05:09 PM

Ah ok cool. yeah thats exactly the answer I was looking for. I thought a sorceror would be very oiverbalanced to be able to cast 5 of EVERY spell lol. Thanks again Lord.

Ares 01-05-2004 08:21 PM

Just the spells you choose to study through leveling up.

edit - spelling

[ 01-05-2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Ares ]

Illumina Drathiran'ar 01-05-2004 09:07 PM

Which is an art in and of itself.

"Let's see. I'm the greatest of Bhaal's children and for level one I can cast.. Infravision... Summon Familiar... Sleep... and Grease. As many times per day as I want!"

Dundee Slaytern 01-05-2004 10:23 PM

A common lament among new Sorcerers.

"It seemed like a good idea at that time!"

;)

Illumina Drathiran'ar 01-05-2004 11:15 PM

(So did the Crusades)

Drew, don't miss Fireball, Stoneskin, Project Image, Larloch's Minor Drain, Vampiric Touch, or Animate Dead. Some, like myself, also favor Flame Arrow (For crowded cities where Fireball just won't do) and perhaps Polymorph Self or Tenser's Transformation. Early in the game, Melf's Minute Meteors are also a big help.

Ares 01-05-2004 11:58 PM

i love stoneskin, its all around my favorite spell in the game

[ 01-05-2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Ares ]

Userunfriendly 01-06-2004 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
(So did the Crusades)

Drew, don't miss Fireball, Stoneskin, Project Image, Larloch's Minor Drain, Vampiric Touch, or Animate Dead. Some, like myself, also favor Flame Arrow (For crowded cities where Fireball just won't do) and perhaps Polymorph Self or Tenser's Transformation. Early in the game, Melf's Minute Meteors are also a big help.

urm...larloch's minor drain??? Vampiric touch??? only for cheese purposes...you can cast on self or a container, and gain health...but otherwise, there are much much better spells...

i frankly prefer flame arrow over fireball...fireball is capped at level 15, i think, and the wand version is fairly powerful...flame arrow just really rocks...

Illumina Drathiran'ar 01-06-2004 02:18 AM

I'm just used to playing a solo sorc, and I don't like wasting potions when I can just drain the life out of a foe. But to each their own.... and I've never abused them.