Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Resident Evil 4 (Wii) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99445)

pritchke 07-23-2008 11:24 AM

Resident Evil 4 (Wii)

WOW! I just finished this and all I can say is WOW. I think this game for its type is pretty close to as perfect as you can come. I did play this in a dark dungy basement and I think I stained my underwear at times due to its creepiness and surprises it offered. It has many challenging boss fights of which each one is different in some way, and a vast selection of weapons. Never forget the knife you start with as it is the best weapon and one I would use as much as possible. Upon completing the game it has opened three mini missions which seem pretty good at first glance, and I look forward to playing them. The cinematics are now unlocked all of which are pretty good and watching them just for the story they tell is neat. Apparently two new weapons are now available so adds interest to playing it again on hard as I found using weapons and not running out of bullets was a strategic part of the game.

CerebroDragon 07-23-2008 12:41 PM

Re: Resident Evil 4 (Wii)

I played RE4 on the Gamecube after a friend kindly loaned it to me and a few other games for a couple of weeks, a couple of years ago. I found it quite gripping and compelling to play, with the peripheral vision of the main character being small enough as to be genuinely sinister at times since it was often hard to keep all angles covered for threats. This was something which I think helped make it more enjoyable. I finished it in a week or so and it was intense action all the way.
Overall I probably prefer the directors cut of RE1 and RE2 though, since they contained more puzzles and were a bit more challenging.

Any idea if there are any differences between the two console versions, Pritchke? Does the Wii contain the amusing shooting gallery for instance?

pritchke 07-23-2008 01:13 PM

It is hard for me to comment as I have not played any of the other versions, but yes there was a shooting gallery in a few areas were you earned bottle caps that you could use to buy little figures from the game to add to your collection, you could than go to your collection and look at the figures in closer detail. There were quite a few puzzles in this game and various things you had to do with the wii mote, like pulling up a crank, or being prompted to do something like move it back and forth to avoid certain death. So I guess there were certain add ons for the Wii version. There was one Area were you controlled Ashley and it involved using the Wii remote to avoid the knights axe, so it makes me wonder if those areas were even in the other games since pretty much every thing you did required using movement of the wii mote. So things like that would have been different or scraped all together in other versions. I do know the controls were pretty smooth and natural.

Kakero 07-23-2008 08:58 PM

The RE4 PC version is a P.O.S! Capcom should have spend time to properly port the game to be playable on a PC. The game don't even support the mouse function FFS! Trying to target something with keyboard is really PITA!!

pritchke 07-25-2008 12:54 PM

Sounds terrible, the mouse could have easily been made to aim, with a left shoot, right reload. And the middle wheel could have been a zoom for the rifle type weaons. PC games should try to limit the keyboard as much as possible.

Madman-Rogovich 07-26-2008 05:59 PM

It is an awesome game, and well worth replaying for a certain tommy gun and rocket launcher :D, its good to hear you enjoyed it pritchke although you have to nail the mercenaries, it has some very nice rewards :)

Also, how about that knife fight with Krauser?

pritchke 07-28-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman-Rogovich (Post 1210904)

Also, how about that knife fight with Krauser?

That fight was awsome. Best and possibly hardest fight in the game, well maybe not hardest but longest. I had more problems with the bald dude in chapter three. It took me a little while to figure out that I should use my knife for the first little while with Krauser. As I keep trying to shoot him and he kept getting in close and kicking my butt because he was fast. But once I started to use the knife the battle went much smoother. The Wii functionality and cinimatics were a nice touch to this battle. Once I got to the end were he transformed he became a more normal boss battle despite the shield he had. This was definatly was the most entertaining.

Madman-Rogovich 08-01-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pritchke (Post 1210985)
That fight was awsome. Best and possibly hardest fight in the game, well maybe not hardest but longest. I had more problems with the bald dude in chapter three. It took me a little while to figure out that I should use my knife for the first little while with Krauser. As I keep trying to shoot him and he kept getting in close and kicking my butt because he was fast. But once I started to use the knife the battle went much smoother. The Wii functionality and cinimatics were a nice touch to this battle. Once I got to the end were he transformed he became a more normal boss battle despite the shield he had. This was definatly was the most entertaining.

Cheif Mendes is a nightmare in chapter 3 :eek: playing the game through now on professional and must've taken him on about 20 times and am still getting creamed ah well... off for round 21 :)

Olorin 08-03-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman-Rogovich (Post 1211393)
Cheif Mendes is a nightmare in chapter 3 :eek: playing the game through now on professional and must've taken him on about 20 times and am still getting creamed ah well... off for round 21 :)

Which part of the fight is giving you trouble? If you're having trouble near the beginning, before he starts swinging from the rafters, there's a fairly easy way to take down painlessly using the catwalk.

Once he transforms, it's best to stay on the ground floor and start running when he moves toward you.

I also liked the Wii version. I never played it on other consoles, but I avoided FPS games on the PS2 because I was never satisfied with the aiming via the controller (being used to FPS with mouse aiming). Having the Wiimote for aiming was great. Even better then using a mouse most of the time (though you couldn't turn as fast as in a game like Quake).

The comparisons I read online seemed to agree that the Wii version was easier than on other consoles, mostly due to the Wii-mote aiming.

pritchke 08-05-2008 12:49 PM

Finally finished the two Ada missions and played the 4 mercenaries missions. These were great additions and added value. The first mission Separate Ways, you basically go through the Chapters as Ada. She doesn't do everything in the exact order as Leon and each chapter consists of only one section not four like Leons chapter. Not only is this mission fun but it fills in plot holes and offers background material on some of the characters in her reports. This mission is so well developed that you will get glances of Leon fighting and you will be like I remember that and know were Ada was at that point in the game. The second Ada mission is a single but very long entry. It was fun, and seems like an alternate story line as the final battle was with Krauser and you killed him twice already, once in the main game were he didn't die, and once in Separate Ways were Ada finishes him off. The Mercenaries mission is 4 playable scenes of zombie hoards which are awesome, you can also unlock four more playable characters if you do well enough, I have not managed to unlock any yet but one looks like Ada and another looks like Krauser. If you just feel like some RE4 but don't really have time or want to start a new game than The Mercenaries are the mission to play.