Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   *sighs* Role Playing Game? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60317)

KalenLeah 12-01-2000 12:14 AM

I don't know. I (for myself) am actually no hero, and sometimes, I dont see the sense in some riddles. Problem is, is it against my role using the search function, or browsing through posts, which contain spoilers for thing I already managed. I don't think role playing has something to do with "riddle solving", it is the atmosphere. But if i hit someones butt with my post, I apologize.

Kalen

KalenLeah 12-01-2000 05:54 AM

I dont want to be a cockhead, but .... What is this all about? I mean, I bought the Game, cause it said "Role Playing Game", then I read this thread and think about my role.

I should be the chosen one, the last hope, the saviour of a land, which is threatened by unspeakable evil. I am breathing hard, my enemys are everywhere. Every step could be my last. Just encountered a dragon, i paid respect and honored this Ancient Dragon, cause he is more than 10 000 Years old, a hundred times more than a human life would last. I am proud that the last watcher of the mavin Sword, a blade which beholds the only way to save the land, thinks me worthy of the blade. After I snap the blade from the altar, hands still shivering because of its might, my dwarven warrior in the party tips on my shoulder and points to the dragon... "Hey Kalen, what about our Exp, lets kill it, I dont think we need it anymore...."

You get the point? If I want to kill, I just play Quake, or Unreal, if I want to kill and like the mideaval, then I play heretic, but no roleplaying games.

Sorry for the inconvinience
Kalen Leah

PS: Yes, i talk to my Chars when I sit in front of the computer.

Astyanax12 12-01-2000 06:16 AM

Weeeelll, if you really, really want to do pure role playing in this game then you shouldn't be reading this board. There are far too many spoilers, hints and cheats here. Even the hardest of puzzles should be solvable by sheer dint of play. (Hmmmm, dunno about the Valkyrie ascension tho).

My advice to you is to keep talking to your characters and to play the game as it should be played, and only when you are really, truly stumped should you come back to the board. And then use only the search facility to avoid picking up any Forbidden Knowledge from the Demi-Goddess Wyvern and her Spoiler Demons.

Wyvern 12-01-2000 07:37 AM

Yikes!!!

In one thread I'm rumored to be D.W.Bradley and now a demi-goddess (complete with spoiler demons)???? LOL!!! You, Astyanax, are named among their numbers!!!

Wyv

P.S. I never kill the good NPCs - I don't care how much experience their death might give my party - they are the good guys and good guys have to stick together!

Junker 12-01-2000 07:45 AM

I totaly Agree with you Kalen Leah...The worst is when some people even come to this board asking if they spoiled the game if they killed this or that NPC,,,,Furthermore why shouldnt we Roleplayers read this board what has that to do whit this thread ??

Astyanax12 12-01-2000 01:18 PM

No offense taken or intended. My only point is that this board is packed full of spoilers (and requests for spoilers) which it is impossible to avoid except through careful use of the Search function. This is because W&W has lots of puzzles to solve and many people are anxious to overcome seemingly impossible problems. As for whether this is a Good Thing or whether this is a Bad Thing is an argument I don't want to get into.

THE_ONE 12-01-2000 04:24 PM

I guess it depends on what Role Playing means to yourself. If you want to be a goodie, of course you shouldn't kill the innocent. But if you decide to lead a group of mean, nasty bastards (you know, the dark sourceror, the black knight, the evil warlock,...), act like them! Pure role playing doesn't mean having to be the white knight all the time. Just be everything you think that you could ever be!

As for the spoilers: as long as looking for a clue or anything is fun, don't spoil it. If it becomes frustrating, just go in for a little help from a friend (like the omniscient Wyvern). Remember, we are playing for fun, and not for the Cause of Purity!

Well, that's how I see role playing - just a personal opinion, of course.

THE ONE

P.S.: It's good to know there are still people who think about the meaning of role playing!

Junker 12-01-2000 07:15 PM

Okey first of all I need to point out this, everyone has the right to play a game how they see fit(most fun etc etc), In the end its all about that,,but here we are talking about roleplaying so I just had to answer...

Well Well lol..This is an answer to THE_ONE.....If you havent noticed that yet, as I see it you havent,,W.W simply isnt written for a group of "mean nasty bastards " or Evil characthers there is several games that has the option for this, one evil and one good path...but W.W doesnt..with that said , well yes you can still play a band of evil characters ,but in this case then nothing adds up,,Why would you try to destroy Cet,etc etc (I could go on for the whole story)..If the senario was real you should have allied with your enemies in the game, but you simply cant do that....So you want to play evil and still save the world from evil..hmm interesting!!(possible roleplaying scenario),,maybe taking over the Cet role yourself ??..WELL I DONT THINK SO.

No No No this is just a very cheap way of trying to defend that extra lust for exp..As stated above, there is nothing wrong in that, you can play the game as you see fit,,,But I still laugh at some that ask what they missed if they killed that NPC, or if they will be able to finish the game or not..for those that do this the game will always seem buggy,,,cus it isnt written for this sort of behavior....

thoon 12-01-2000 08:38 PM

yikes! Maybe I had better go back and unkill that dragon. Well ... he was a pompous old s.o.b. and he tried many times to burn me up and eat me.

Lily the Ranger 12-01-2000 09:06 PM

I dont play for experience points. I play for the game. The game is supposed to be whatever I want it to be. This game seems to award points for quests and kills. When DM D&D we had experience points or penalty points and you could get creative. This game will give you enough rope to hang yourself. (I dropped it in town and it ain't coming back). I only debate the "morals" of an action in fun. I admit I have exploited one little bug for points (just one and only for the experience of having tried it), I got bored real quick though . . . for me the thrill is the play. Sometime I am a meany, usually try to be good. It is fun to save and go do something you know you "shouldn't" just to try it. I like the dragon even though he has crisped my several times now. But if you like the points and the learned sages here says "no consequence". . . KILL EM