Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Best. Reviewer. Ever. (Not work safe) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97972)

Mozenwrathe 10-04-2007 09:22 PM

Best. Reviewer. Ever. (Not work safe)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...tuation-Halo-3

watch this
laugh your head off
watch this again

zero punctuation
zero dross
all killer
no filler
(unless what he feels about Halo 3 however)

Lord Michael 10-04-2007 10:14 PM

Re: Best. Reviewer. Ever. (Not work safe)

ROFLMAO

Thanks!

Sever 10-04-2007 10:20 PM

Awesome! Thanks for that Mozenwrathe. :thumbsup:

Ziroc 10-04-2007 11:50 PM

HAHAHAH! OMG, totally awesome. I don't get the attention Halo gets. Its a VERY lame shooter, nothing special--gee, kill everything that moves. boring.

Microsoft is all about VISUALS. Visuals with no content. no depth...

Hell, Thief 1 blows the hell out of Halo 3. And what the HELL is the deal with developers these days making games that last less than TEN HOURS?!? My god. Eye of the Beholder 1 was on 2 HD Floppies, and took 15+ hours to beat. Goldbox games took 50 hours to beat and were on 5 1/2 floppies... lol.

How far they have fallen... I hold the faith that there are a few game companies that want to make a good game, with CONTENT and not just visuals. At the end of the day, it's the story you'll remember, not the graphics.

Whats sad is we're seeing shooters upon shooter clones being released, with some 'gimmick' to make their game 'unique', but in the end, its a 'kill everything that moves' design, with some pretty cut scenes. dull. We can do better than this. We deserve better than this.

My friend, he pre purchased the Halo 3 'deluxe ultra gold head thing' edition.. over $100.00. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! And all these corporate reviews like IGN, PC Gamer and such give them 10 out of 10?? Wow... Makes me wonder what constitutes a 10. :)

We need to stop dumbing games down, or at least make a genre with something more.. I miss the days of Thief 1 and 2..
I think that's why we like Roleplaying games.. It makes us think, not just 'kill all that moves'.

Just my 2 coppers :)

Lord Michael 10-05-2007 07:59 AM

Best. Reviewer. Ever. (Not work safe)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziroc (Post 1191245)
And all these corporate reviews like IGN, PC Gamer and such give them 10 out of 10?? Wow... Makes me wonder what constitutes a 10. :)

I think alot of the reviewers are in bed with the developers. I mean, you gotta keep the economy going.... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziroc (Post 1191245)
I think that's why we like Roleplaying games.. It makes us think, not just 'kill all that moves'.

10-4 !!!

robertthebard 10-05-2007 08:26 AM

Yep, think, and then kill everything that turns my cursor into a sword...and some things that don't, just because.

Seriously though, I gave up on shooters right around the time BG came out. Of course, I haven't really missed much since then, just revamped versions of the same games.

Lord Michael 10-05-2007 08:41 AM

BG definitely ended any love I had for FPS as well.

Thoran 10-05-2007 09:13 AM

I still have a lot of love for shooters... but not console shooters. Halo3 is arguably the best console shooter out there, but compared to PC shooters it has a hard time rating mediocre. Part of the problem is the poor control from the console controller, and part of it is that PC shooter are more innovative... there's really nothing new in H3 that hasn't been done on the pc for years.

Sever 10-05-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoran (Post 1191274)
I still have a lot of love for shooters... but not console shooters. Halo3 is arguably the best console shooter out there, but compared to PC shooters it has a hard time rating mediocre. Part of the problem is the poor control from the console controller, and part of it is that PC shooter are more innovative... there's really nothing new in H3 that hasn't been done on the pc for years.

I think Halo (the original) is still the most over-rated game of all time. The only reason it was the success that it was is because the console clowns didn't know any better.

Iron Greasel 10-05-2007 10:51 AM

I still play Deus Ex. You are still, most of the time, expected to kill everything that makes the crosshair turn red, but you don't have to if you don't want to. Plus you get a few roleplaying elements, like experience points. All the other FPSs I've played since it have seemed somehow really shallow and simple.

Thoran 10-05-2007 11:13 AM

Well if you start talking about expanded shooters (like those with roleplaying elements) - Technically speaking... Oblivion is a first person shooter.

I tend to think of the first person shooter as a game that's tactically focused, minimal RP elements, perhaps some spatial puzzles. That genre of game tends to be more cinematic at the plot level. The player isn't 'planning their destiny', but rather they're a character in a developing plot that they have little control over. Half Life 2 is the best example of this - the player is swept along by titanic forces and spends his/her time fighting for survival while trying to solve the overarching puzzle. Cool stuff, just a LOT different from a roleplaying game.

Kyrvias 10-06-2007 08:39 PM

As far as I can tell, most reviewers gave that score for the multiplayer aspect, and customization aspects of said multiplayer.

Sure, a group adventuring in the Seaside Town, or Dungeon of Doom is all good and fun (Belive me, it is,) sometimes you just have to do some mindless killing against a random person from Australia. Or somewhere.

And, before I die a horrible flaming death... er... PC shooters ftw?

Ziroc 10-06-2007 08:50 PM

I liked the 'halo lovers tossing each other off in glee'.. hahaha... :whackit: