Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   best charactor advancement (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31636)

kev 07-15-2002 05:09 AM

Hey packrat, dont you sleep, it must be very early morning where you are.
Is it best to chop & change your charactors careers. I change mine at every10 to 14 levels to give them a broad education. Would it be better to level them up in one job only. Ive noticed that while I might be on level 8 for types of magic I can only learn up to level 4 spells.

Packrat 07-15-2002 05:46 AM

I do the same thing. Each 'Elite role' has a school that is natural and can be learned at normal skill level. All other schools can only be learned at 'Half'. As soon as I get the key spells for that school, I change. You also have to take advantage of the special skills or 'traits', that each role can learn. (check page 3, BEST TIPS)
Later you can raise a character skill as needed, to learn some of the spells that are useful but not needed.

BTW...I get up at 3:00 AM, on week days.

kev 07-15-2002 05:54 AM

do you think that 10 levels is too much. I know where my charators are going to end up. would it be better to pick the eyes out of many jobs for just 5 levels. I dont know how long the game runs for and it would be a shame to have my charactors in their last jobs at only level 7 at the end. I am currently in the pyrimid.

Packrat 07-15-2002 06:24 AM

If you're already in Cets pyramid and you're not having any trouble, you've done it right.... http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...ons/icon14.gif

You can always run around and develope you're crew, after you finish of Cet. The only thing you can not do (after Cet) is go back into the pyramid.

You can also 'Reset Adventures', once you get back to Valeia and start all over. You lose you guild memberships and all Quest Items, but you keep your skills, stats, gold and gear.

the_young_one 07-15-2002 07:45 AM

You can re-enter Cet's pyramid even after completing the pyramid. Create a teleport in the room with the three stone tablets - this will allow you to bypass the doors which are locked.

Wyvern 07-15-2002 10:28 AM

When you "reset adventures" your characters' previous class history disappears as well which means that you can go back to a class you were before. This can be handy to fill out spell books if needed.

Wyv

Bungleau 07-15-2002 12:11 PM

I didn't know you couldn't go back into the pyramid after you defeated Cet! Then again, by that point I've always got a portal created at the lever, so I may have bypassed it.

As for character advancement, I find it's important to have skill goals (which you have) and advance to meet those skill goals. For example, on the spellcasting side I want to get all the *storm and artifact* spells, cure poison in vine, and heal all in spirit. Aside from that, I try to keep spellcasters in their base classes until they've mastered all their level 7 spells (since it will be a long time before they can learn them again).

For other classes, I'd change warriors to barbarian ASAP to get those HP bonuses right away.

In general, once you get to around level 14 or so, the next level you go up in that class would take you to level 8 or 9 in a new class. That's eight extra hit points, but more importantly, eight new sets of skill points. Those are priceless...

I also never use spell books (except perhaps a cure poison...). When you use them, you don't get the mana boost you do when learning a spell at level-up.

Not that that last bit means much, but it seems to flow with the topic...

kev 07-16-2002 08:17 AM

Thanks bungleau, I have changed too soon with my magic users on occasion but I think that I can remedy that at this stage. It is a good idea to level up warriors as barbarians early. I did this & then regretted having a rogue. I could of got locks & traps skills with my warriors. I haven't needed pick pocket skills much at all in this game.

WillowIX 07-16-2002 08:22 AM

Pick pocket isnīt a required skill in the game. It can help you out sometimes but with the infinite gold bug thereīs no real use for it. I donīt see why you should regret having a rogue. I start with one on my team and after the crypt he becomes a barbarian. Then you get all the warrior skills with the rogue. Itīs just the other way around... If you like to do all Valeia quests before going to Ishad Nīha thereīs a difference. But I like changing all my warriors classes after the crypt, complete those quests and get hunting in there serpant temple. They come out lvl 10+ from there. Plus after that you got all the spells you want. Every player in here got a different opinion in this question I think [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]